Hoppy

multi layers after inkscape trace

Well, jobs have started to come in again. I have a logo that was emailed to me that I traced in inkscape and end up with 7 layers of varied shades of gray and black. I am unsure how to clean this up. I am still VERY much in the learning process here. How can I make this cuttable? I am using signblazer. I have tried grouping objets with no luck, is there a feature that will do what I need that I am unfamiliar with? What is the right way to do this?

Any and all help is valued more than you know.

Thanks.

Jeff

This is original image I am working with, the attached EPS is after my trace.

post-9514-0-68805800-1338238329.jpg

drawing2.eps

Im assuming you did "trace bitmap" not a manual trace. You probably used the multiple scans in the bottom block of the selection. For this you should do "brightness cutoff" That is the very first block. That is what youll do 99% of your traces with. You might have to invert image, so just try it both ways. This should be very easy to trace. Play around with the threshold, and work with it until you get yourself a good starting point.

When I do trace bitmap, I usually do at least 6 or 7 traces with different thresholds.

Work with it and if you keep having trouble Ill give it a go. But its better to learn it yourself. Teach a man to fish kind of thing.

Oh and try and find that font, its always advised to not use traced fonts. You wont get good results.

• Like 1

Cant thank you enough!!!

The lesson is pricless, and the link will serve me well in the future. I have much learnig still to do..

Thanks again,

Jeff

More then happy to help. Make sure you post up any other questions you get.

Hoppy, I work in .ai but its similar. You will do well to find the correct font as Coaster suggested with the link. I have never been happy with traced fonts, they never come out clean enough. I place a copy of the image on the workspace and turn down the opacity to about 50% then lock it so I can see the original to build off of but don't have it active. Then you can trace the file, discard the text to be replaced with the actual text and clean up any irregulars that the tracing brought on. Personally I loose the fill and line colors until I'm happy with the trace so I can see the locked original below. Not sure how much of that translates into inkscape. I have a version of ink on one of my laptops but I don't spend enough time with it to give you specific help.