jhumbeutel

Store front window graphics inside or out?

I always thought vinyl window graphics should be applied to the inside of the store front window. But everything I see on youtube is applied to the outside. Just wondering which is better. Thanks

I always do the sign in reverse... be it hand lettered or vinyl.... unless the window is tinted. When placed inside it is protected from prying hands. You have to pay more attention to prep and installation when doing it inside as a poor install is more noticeable. I believe that is the reason many just slap it on the outside of the glass. Also the outside of the window gets washed four times as often then the inside... so more likely to start rolling an corner. So inside with acceptations when required. ;)

If you apply it to the inside that means the adhesive side is exposed to the sunlight. Some of the adhesives in cheaper films will yellow after a little time and look bad. I always put them on the outside so you get the true color of the vinyl and the actual life expectancy.

• Like 1

hhhmmm both valid points... has anyone done a doubele side? (inside and out) i can only imagen getting the two to sync is a nightmare

I prefer the outside because the image can be seen at an angle. If you place them inside then you can't see the images as well from an angle. Also, I'd rather NOT have to move displays and such and I can do the install when the customer and his/her customers are not in the way.

• Like 1

I prefer the outside because the image can be seen at an angle. If you place them inside then you can't see the images as well from an angle. Also, I'd rather NOT have to move displays and such and I can do the install when the customer and his/her customers are not in the way.

+1

From a visual aspect (which is what a sign is for) outside would be best IMO. Even if I had to replace vinyl every 4-5 years, as long as people see it is what matters.

If it was put on the inside, the sticky side would show on the outside. Would that look bad because it's not nice and smooth like the top of the vinyl. Thanks for all the replys.

Also, what would be the best vinylto use for windows?

I prefer the outside and use a minimum of oracal 751 I will use 651 on short life signs and banners but prefer cast on autos and businesses signs

If you were to have an issue with a film not adhering correctly, installation is an important part- and usually warranty only covers failure due to UV when installed with the vinyl side, not adhesive facing out.

I've done them both ways and not only is the glue side just as durable when facing the sun, it looks cleaner in appearance because of the smoothness of the glass.

With regard to the best vinyl to use I normally go with the needs of the job/customer using mmaterial I trust. I never trouble myself with the warranty any more because it only covers the least costly part of a project (the vinyl). If you've ever attempted to squeeze more from the manufacturer than the $20-$40 cost of material you'd probably feel the same pretty quick.

It's my opinion the 651 will last 'long enough' to not only suit the customers needs but allow for a repeat installation within my lifetime. I'm not saying that I want to cheat a customer out of a few years of vinyl life, I just want the customer to have a easier time when it comes to deciding it's time to re-vamp their business presence again with an updated graphic.

Besides, as you do more and more intallations around town you may also begin to grow tired of seeing the same unchanging graphics everyday, even if they were done with your own two hands.

I've only had one install of this type and it was for a glass door. I recommended inside installation because of the part of town that it's in has a lot of kids with too much time on their hands who like to vandalize, and putting it inside helps protect it. When it first went on, there were some small, but visible bubbles, but once the sun hit the glass and warmed it, I was able to apply a little additional pressure on those spots and they are no longer noticable.

The same people that I did that for have an interior door with a glass window, this one has that fake frosted material that you put on bathroom windows on one side, and I cut their store name reversed in black vinyl that they are wanting to apply to the opposite side of the glass and they think it will show through on the other side - I'm not sure how well (if at all!) that is going to work, so I left that decal with them to install it themselves and told them they would be responsible for how it looks. I am curious to see how it works out, though...

i installed the name of the restaurant of my parents in color red and a shadow of the letters in yellow (all manual cut) and i dont know what brand the vinyl is, but it was the cheapest one for sure, i installed it inside and so far its still looking good after 3-4 years