Rodger

Music subscription advice wanted .

I had been subscribed to Napster for years , Rhapsody took them over & all the tracks i had bought as part of the subscription did not make the transition . Rhapsody offered me 25 songs to replace the 217 songs I could download onto my MP3 . I cancelled & am looking for advice based on experience . Everything sounds " Swell " reading thru all the search results :) . I have tried Audicity , but never quite figured it out . To live up to my promise to Rhapsody officials .. " Rhapsody is lower than Whale poop !!! ' .

I used to be the king of downloaded music. I had 3 80GB external hardrives full of nothing but music most of which came from Napster.... Before and after if cost money. When I had my iPhone of course I HAD to use iTunes which I hated! But that wasn't surprising since I despise Apple products. I have been a subscriber to XM since 2002 when I worked at ABC Warehouse and was given the equipment for free. After 20 minutes of listening I was hooked then when Howard went to Sirius I switched to that and have been a faithful listener ever since. ( I promise I am getting to a point.) Depending on what you use your player for and the type I love sirius!! I can listen to it anywhere since I have the app on my Android or I can listen online from any computer. Now as far as a regular MP3 player I know a few people who use Amazon MP3 and love it. Most of these people are like me and HATE only downloading 1 song. I like to have the whole album. I had Rhapsody a while back and it seemed to spam my computer all the time with web bars and all sorts of junk. In my opinion Amazon is the way to go with either downloading the album for $5 or looking to see what you can actually buy one for and have it shipped then you always have a hard copy of it...

Pandora is free.

Thanks Jay , Free is always betterer :) . have you used it ? I am trying Bearshare ( free also ) & know the collective experience of the forum will save me alot of time . I consider 99.99% on this forum , " Bargain Hunters "

Pandora is great but it's not download..(to my knowledge.) I think it streams only but anything you can be in the mood for you will find.

Thanks Dr12Volt ,

I would like to get away from subscription stuff . Seems there is so much available for free , it is just a matter of finding out what suits a person best . I only use flip cell phones & have a Blackberry now , which is not an Android . If I had an Android supported phone , i would probably get a subscription radio service as I drive many different vehicles , some without radios & alot of times traveling where i wear the search buttons out . It is hard to find rock staions , especially traveling thru the mountains .

I have never spent enough time with Audacity . i was told anything coming over the speakers can be downloaded . That would be " COOL "

Just a thought but Sirius has an app for the blackberry also... Depends on the data plan you have it is streaming so it uses up data. Pandora is going to be the same type of them download an app then stream the music. I know a lot of people who use Pandora and LOVE it. And I believe you can get a 1 month free trial. I have pandora but since I like Howard and some of the comedy stations I don't use it much. My girlfriend listens to Pandora all day and likes it because you can search by band name and it will show stations that play only that style music.

Thanks Jay , Free is always betterer :) . have you used it ? I am trying Bearshare ( free also ) & know the collective experience of the forum will save me alot of time . I consider 99.99% on this forum , " Bargain Hunters "

I like Pandora because it taylors music to your liking. You pick artists that you like and it finds similar music. You give songs thumbs up or thumbs down. If you like something it will find other similar music to play. You will find songs that you never would have otherwise.

• Like 1

Guest Finishing Touch

and Pandora has apps for iphone and ipods its is the way to go if your not looking to buy anything

I like Pandora because it taylors music to your liking. You pick artists that you like and it finds similar music. You give songs thumbs up or thumbs down. If you like something it will find other similar music to play. You will find songs that you never would have otherwise.

I few of my friends always send me links to songs from like 38 special and what not that you've never heard and rock...

I few of my friends always send me links to songs from like 38 special and what not that you've never heard and rock...

hmmm , a " youngster " :) . I am mainly wanting to listen on the pc , a little to burn some CDs to use in vehicles .

hmmm , a " youngster " :) . I am mainly wanting to listen on the pc , a little to burn some CDs to use in vehicles .

Run your smarphone through your car audio and take Pandora with you. I don't think you can burn CD's from Pandora. It's just streaming.

Run your smarphone through your car audio and take Pandora with you. I don't think you can burn CD's from Pandora. It's just streaming.

Yes Pandora is streaming only...

As far as being a youngster I don't watch much TV all I do is listen to music. Anytime we hit the local pubs all the money for the jukebox comes to me everyone wants me to select. I know most all of it but specialize in old country... Eddy Arnold, Willie and Waylon, Roger Miller, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Leroy Van Dyke, Don Williams, Johnny Lee... Things to that nature.

Locally here good .38 Special is anything but Hold on Loosely or Caught up in you. Those are the only 2 the local stations play. They forget about the classics like Fantasy Girl....

Now if you like .38 special I suggest checking out The Bottle Rockets... They have 1 big hit with "Radar Gun" but have a few albums out and all are worth listening too.....

Maybe I could look at putting up some of my collection somewhere somehow to "share"

I don't stream. I got bored with that. I have my old mp3's that I can tap if I need something older. For new stuff I am 150% amazon. I dl it to my phone and my pc and I'm good to go. I would rather spend $1 for a song and have it outright than deal with the bs associated with subscriptions and / or 3rd party software.

And if I'm reaaalllly being a cheap A, I just play the song on youtube. : )

:) , It sounded like .38 special was a newer find ... My 30 year old son has argued about some " new " songs that are actually covers of older songs in my generation . I have also been surprised at songs I thought original that were covers :) . Thanks for all the advice & i welcome more . It seems this BearShare is as interesting as is Pandora .. i am trying them both out as of now . The music of " Breaking the Chains" by Dokken is 1 of my favs .

If you want a good streaming program on your computer check out GrooveShark.com That is the one I used to use all the time. You can stream most any song on demand and then save it in your favorites. I forgot all about that until just now. Haven't used it in a year or so but they had most any song I could think of on there.

Thanks , I'll check that out right now . The lack of many songs in Napster & even more so when Rlapsody bought them out was a big turn off , especially when paying .

Also try Spotify. Pretty nice, it's like a mix of Pandora and iTunes. You type in any song, artist, or album and it will pull up everything and let you play it free. They were calling it the iTunes killer in Europe, which I doubt, but it was nice the couple of times I used it. Plus it's FREE.

• Like 1

love pandora, i upgraded to the pandora one.. 40 bucks for the year, no ads, unlimted play and a desktop player. with the free version you get 40hrs a week, audio ads (not many) and you have to play it through a brower (unless using a app on the phone)

Spotify works great- you pick the music, and if you pay for the sub service you can download the music and download it to your iphone or android device....

4.99 for unlimited, 9.99 for premium.