slice&dice

Let's post some signs here that are basically useless (lesson in what NOT to do when making signs)

I decided to start this thread after losing a job last week to another local sign-maker, who proceeded to put up a sign that is totally useless.

When first approached by the business owner, I told him to go with a 4'x8' sign based on the far distance from the main road that it would be seen from.

I quoted him a great price for it (under $300, installed, using green MaxMetal).

Today, I drove by and noticed he had another guy make a 24" x 60" sign. It's wayyyyyyy little for the spot, and on top of the sign size being too miniscule, the lettering is also smaller than it should be at that distance.

Anyone want to chime in with other examples of signs they've seen that are basically not doing what they are supposed to?

post-21408-0-38962200-1337106103.jpg

I have seen it a multitude of times to save money they go with a smaller sign and still want all the info of a larger sign hence the small lettering i have told many better to just have the company name and phone number than load a sign with info that no one can read. Then they want it 30 ft high making it even hader to read .

Dan

If there's one thing I've learned in this business, it's GO BIGGER than you think it should be. Once in place, any sign "Shrinks" within its surroundings.

I did a 4' x 12' banner for a guy last month, we both figured it was plenty huge.

Nope, it could have been better at 6' x 20' ----- but we all live and learn.

This is a close up of a sign I looked at while sitting at a bank when I went thru - spent 3 months and decided to go over and see what it said with a close up pic.    Mow for 3 months I was guessing resteraunt, retirement, replacment for the hispanic grocery store that was there.  After talking with the owner, he hasn't changed that sign but added a little more to help some and has become a good custiomer.  I keep trying to get him to do some window perf of actual art work to help this out.  PS the led signs in the windows are not visable from the street hardly at all

from across the road to read the white sign is like trying to read the door sign in the picture

post-2742-0-88052500-1373123184_thumb.jp

Funny you would start this thread now - I just took this pic yesterday of the door of my credit union...

post-24492-0-90521400-1373125096_thumb.j

You shouldn't try and "fix" cut vinyl on glass - just take it down and re-do the whole thing...

Note the "3" in both of the 8:30 times - one leans to the right, one skews to the left - the 7:30 times are done in a different weight of type and a slightly different color - the color difference isn't as noticable in the pic, but the difference between 7:30 and AM is apparent - the 7:30 is a brighter white and a heavier type.  Also notice in the first 7:30 line that 7:30 seems to run downhill to the right when compared to the rest of the line...

The letters in SATURDAY don't line up well, either.

That whole thing needs to be scraped off and replaced...

Personally, I would have inserted an en space between the times and AM and PM, but that's just me...

Why y'all makin' fun of my signs? That ain't nice

• Like 1

Mines is copyrighted so yous cant steals em

I admit it..I take full responcibuildity..I shipped it UPS VIA of fedex and it arrived REO SPEEDWAGON...I included intructions on where and how to place all dem letters and funny numbers...I sold'em a replacement upgrade kit next time they have a garage sale...

How could you stand back and look at this, and then walk in and get paid and go home and be happy? 

I would of walked in and talked to the manager and told him I can do it better or its free.  Thats just an embarresment to the bank.

and the LOBBY HOURS AND DRIVE UP HOURS,,, is that the font, or is his cutter messed up lol

the guy must of been low on vinyl and trying to pinch pennies making every scrap count lol.

as for the tatto shops header ... these fly by night business owners dont think when creating a sign. THEY may think it looks good and can read it, but the rest of us normal people have a hard time.. and its hard on the eyes also, straining to read it.

• Like 1

and the LOBBY HOURS AND DRIVE UP HOURS,,, is that the font, or is his cutter messed up lol

It's the font that is used, but I agree that you shouldn't mix fonts like that in a design, or at least pick ones that have a consistent theme.

When I see work like that I have to assume that the manager's wife has a Cricut (and no offense to the Cricut owners out there) and said "Oh, I can cut vinyl and letter the door and save you all kinds of money vs. having a "professional" do it!"

Funny you would start this thread now - I just took this pic yesterday of the door of my credit union...

attachicon.gifbank door sign.jpg

You shouldn't try and "fix" cut vinyl on glass - just take it down and re-do the whole thing...

Note the "3" in both of the 8:30 times - one leans to the right, one skews to the left - the 7:30 times are done in a different weight of type and a slightly different color - the color difference isn't as noticable in the pic, but the difference between 7:30 and AM is apparent - the 7:30 is a brighter white and a heavier type.  Also notice in the first 7:30 line that 7:30 seems to run downhill to the right when compared to the rest of the line...

The letters in SATURDAY don't line up well, either.

That whole thing needs to be scraped off and replaced...

Personally, I would have inserted an en space between the times and AM and PM, but that's just me...

I showed the bank job to the wife.... her coment was "is that the one you did" so much for her having my back :lol:  :lol:

MM64 B)

I showed the bank job to the wife.... her coment was "is that the one you did" so much for her having my back :lol:  :lol:

MM64 B)

LoL!!! now THATS funny hehe