slice&dice

LiYu-SC gets up and running, my 1st impressions

In the continuing saga of my MH871 cutter going down for the count (USB port busted) I decided to bring in a replacement machine, and the LiYu - SC fit the bill, price-wise.

Out of the box, the stand assembled quickly (I had viewed the video) and then my computer required no special install to start cutting (I just changed my SB Cut Setup to LiYu and the machine just hummed right along)

Now, here are some items that are worth mentioning --

1. Even with the blade BARELY poking out of the end of the holder (and I mean, like I need a magnifying glass to even see the point sticking out) I must keep the pressure at 1mm, which is the lowest possible. And even then, I have backing paper being scored.

2. Tracking of long sections of vinyl is pretty dismal, and I'm messing with the pinch rollers to try and correct that. I also experienced that "vinyl bunching" problem at first, but that's been resolved with adjustments of the roller pressure. Just gotta keep on fiddling around until I get it right.

I do like the way these pinch rollers slide smoothly across their tracks (much more easily and fluidly than the MH does)

3. Lord knows, when paying $90 for a stand, getting a catch-basket as a standard attachment would have been nice. But, I'll now have to fabricate one (just as I did for the MH).

4. Much QUIETER than the MH Refine, for sure.

However, it makes this noticeable Tap-Tap-Tap as the blade holder comes into contact with the vinyl (the base is hollow, I guess, and echoes the impact).

5. The machine is white/beige & the base matches. So, why include a BLUE dust cover? It should be white, obviously.

6. In the first day of cutting, it stopped twice. This SC simply decided to quit right in the middle of longer jobs that were running (eight-footers). I have the machine grounded properly, and this really surprised me, as a crash/quit never happened with the MH.

Both times this occured (two different jobs), I rebooted everything (computer and program and machine), resent the work, and the SC proceeded correctly to the end of the cuts.

I'll update this thread with further comments as I go along...

• Like 1

Did I miss something?

OK, here's what's been going on today --- my laptop doesn't have a serial port (and for the life of me, I couldn't get the KEYSPAN to work, despite fooling with all sorts of settings for hours).

So, I just went out and grabbed an older DELL Optiplex desktop WinXP computer for $80 (with 17" LCD Acer monitor) from a guy on CL.

Literally, within 15 minutes of setting it up and installing SignBlazer, the SC cutter was working like a charm from the serial port.

I believe that will be the most stable way to run it, based on many members here saying SERIAL SERIAL SERIAL!!!!!!

Oh, I already have gotten the first job going on this new computer --- a 4'x8' maxmetal sign for a car dealer, charged $350, and that single job has paid for my $80 computer, as well as all the vinyl rolls I ordered along with the SC (Oracal 9-color pack of 30" material = $260)

Now, if I can only figure out what to do with the PINK roll of vinyl they sent me in my starter pack!!!!!!!!

Whew, you can say that, again?

Sorry, I can explain. Several threads where Spammed this morning. This thread had over 3 pages of the same content. Nothing to do with vinyl. I replied to a Spam-Bot. "Hello, Dave..."

Every spam post was a book & there were plenty of posts . Must have taken up a bunch of John's time deleting all those . Thanks John :) . I can't imagine those posts getting any customers ... it would postively make me refuse to even consider anything they offered , even if it was something I would consider . How a business conducts themselves determines if i do any business with them . Deal with low business standards starting out , you deserve what you get IMO .

The SC machine is rocking and rolling along like a champion.

In the past week, I've done all sorts of work with it, and not even a hint of a hiccup.

-- Memorial Cemetery (signs directing people to the office to get a free American flag for placing at grave markers)

-- Veterinary Hospital (signs offering Pet Care, visible from 200 feet away, using 20" lettering)

-- Sports Camp (signs promoting camp registration)

-- Motorcycle Club ("watch for motorcycles" -- yellow warning street signs, 24" diamond-shaped)

-- Junk Hauler (truck-door magnets)

and more...

Thank you, USCUTTER, for providing this machine.

It's just the right machine for my shop.

i got one and i love it no hickups at all and makes nice clean cuts and even small fine stuff

• Like 1

*bump thread*

Here is a comment regarding the pressure rollers on the SC unit.

If you slide the first pressure roller all the way over to the far-right until it stops on the track, it will actually MISS the lower grit roller completely. I kid you not. (The set-screw on the track in the rear is placed too far over)

I have placed a bit of vinyl onto the top of my machine to indicate the farthest extent the pressure-roller should be placed, to remain in contact with the grit roller.

The Blue arrow in my illustration indicates the point the pressure-roller should be located at.

The Green arrow shows where it will be if you slide it all the way to the stop-point (set-screw) and that location will NOT WORK for guiding the vinyl properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the pic. I'm going to put some vinyl on mine, so I know where to stop.

Have you had any issues since running a serial cable connection?

So far my SC machine has worked very well. I have only done small decals and paint masks for myself and have not had issues with the cutter until this past week.

My cuts seem to be leaving little tags and the end of the cut paths dont always match up now. For larger 1" or larger letters it's not a problem but on smaller letters for my radio control models it's an issue.

-Scott

Have you had any issues since running a serial cable connection?

So far my SC machine has worked very well. I have only done small decals and paint masks for myself and have not had issues with the cutter until this past week.

My cuts seem to be leaving little tags and the end of the cut paths dont always match up now. For larger 1" or larger letters it's not a problem but on smaller letters for my radio control models it's an issue.

-Scott

Not a single issue, the SC loves running on serial connection.

Those "tags" are likely the result of incorrect blade offset and/or cut direction (try changing these parameters).

Also, dull blades will tend to 'tear" instead of CUT.

Thanks for the Info man *-* i am going to mark mine now . I really like my SC, great cutter only thing is its as loud as a Jackhammer LOL ... but great Plotter :D

UPDATE --  I took out that set-screw from its incorrect point, and simply drilled a new hole and put the screw into position a little over further to the left on the rear rail. That solved the issue.