liquidfusion

Glass etching....

Go to harbor freight and buy a air eraser.... It works fantastic.....

How long did that take to etch with an air eraser?

O.K. please tell me how you got the graphics to conform to the curve of the glass? I have been playing around with large red wine glasses and I can't for the life of me, get the graphic to a.) lay completely flat and b.) not get distorted. I have looked for days on the internet to try to find out how to get the vinyl to lay correctly on the glass and not be distorted. I have also read some of the suggestions here, but still can't figure out how to curve my letters on my software to lay straight and flat on the glass. Any other suggestions? I have the 'curve' pdf...no clue on how to use it. I have seen the video, but my wine glass won't sit on the table close enough to 'draw' the arch. Please...help...thank you as always...

Curved glasses, like wine glasses, are a real pain to apply to. The best method I've found is to manually cut a lot of relief cuts (V-shapes with the point closest to your design, that extend to the edge of the vinyl) that allows you to flatten out the design on the glass, then use scrap vinyl or tape to cover up the relief cuts.

The curve method you refer to is primarily for glasses with a straight, but tapered edge - like a martini glass. If you don't curve the graphics prior to cutting, then they will look curved/distorted when applied - it's not as important on a curved glass.

The nice thing about blasting over the etching cream is that you can do a two stage blast from the back side and edge light it and it looks so much nicer.

Here is one I did for a friend that is a fireman. It is on 3/8 glass reversed etched, not in the frame yet.

Bob

post-6565-0-39344500-1351599673.jpg

• Like 1

OWJones thank you for the information. I will try what you suggested. Still have to figure out what kind of curve to give my text to line up straight on the glass...

Hummer if you measure your glass at the place you want to put your text, take that mesurement say 5 inches. Draw a 5 in circle and have text follow circle. Whene you put it on the mug it should be right. Hope I explained it alright

Bob

post-6565-0-78470200-1351635460.jpg

rivied...thank you so much for this information. This should work out fine. I cannot explain why this didn't come to mind. Talk about 'newbie'...duh! Thank you once again. I will try this tonight!

Your welcome Hummer. Here is a site with a little more info for you.http://www.sandcarver.org/curvetext.htm Hope it helps

Bob

Thanks again for all the help. Still playing with it, but will post the results if and when they turn out...