emwoodrow

High hopes but REALLY worried

USB has ALWAYs been hit or miss on the inexpensive Chinese cutters. You can use a USB on the high end cutters Roland, Graphtec, I know, I use USB for over 4 years on my Graphtec, and never a problem. Some get USB to work fine on their systems,and never have problems. Others it's a PITA on any brand of vinyl cutter. And they just get a keyspan and be done with it. Is UScutter supposed to know what kind of a computer you have when you make your purchase? NO. They give a USB cable and a serial. Actually, a lot of people like me, stay back on older computers, like XP, because they are more stable. I don't upgrade. I just purchase another XP. You can still get great deals on Desktop XP with serial on EBAY. Because serial is the way to go on the inexpensive cutters.

This cutter has not been out that long and not too many buyers have stated their experience, or how they got things going. Most buyers, who don't have problems at all,,, rarely come to the forum... How many complaints are you seeing about the SC cutter? I have only seen you complain, and I have been on here almost everyday and read everything new. The Liyu cutters have been around awhile. That is the brand name of your cutter. Check it out on the internet. They have to send USB connection, try and find new computers with serial connection. Gotta buy a serial card.or keyspan.adapter. Computer companies did that. And many laptops with less com ports.

I understand that I'm not going to get all the bells and whistles with a low end cutter. I just wish they had been forthcoming. The fact that USB connectivity doesn't work seems to be common knowledge among regular users here. It would stand to reason that the support guys know it too. Still some sales guy decides to list it as a feature knowing some poor guy on the helpdesk is going to get chewed out over it.

Support said that Signblazer doesn't work with the SC. I actually didn't know I could upload the actual file here. I haven't found that button yet :)

It must..check out this thread:

It may not matter, but what version of illustrator was your file? I read today, when a tech from Signcut was on and she stated to use version 8. ai. file

thess signcut sweden

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 25 posts

• LocationSweden

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Save your file as AI-format compatibility 8,0 instead of EPS-format. It should solve the problem. Files from Illustrator works better as AI-format 8,0 then EPS-format.

Regards,

Therese Löfström

What the heck. It can't hurt anything to try. I'm also going to hit Radio Shack tomorrow to see if I can get away with a higher end usb to serial cable. If not I'll order the Keyspan. I just really don't want to wait that long to play with my toy. I feel like a kid on christmas morning and Santa forgot to bring batteries.

as Banner John,, stated there are other users using Signblazer with the SC vinyl cutter with success.

You could also as a experiment, download a graphic from the forum and import it into Signcut. Or make some simple text in inkscape and export an eps. and import into Signcut.

I'm going to try a completely different route. I'm going to cobble together a desktop with a serial port today and load it with Win2K.

• Like 1

I understand that I'm not going to get all the bells and whistles with a low end cutter. I just wish they had been forthcoming. The fact that USB connectivity doesn't work seems to be common knowledge among regular users here. It would stand to reason that the support guys know it too. Still some sales guy decides to list it as a feature knowing some poor guy on the helpdesk is going to get chewed out over it.

I think the realistic outlook is that of all the cases that have problems ... the usb connection .. in low end cutters is a high suspect especially with certain computer configurations . I don't think I have ever read a topic started saying " i have no problem " , " my usb port works like it is suposed to " . Only people who have problems . The shaking & movement of a cutter makes me wonder how any USB port works good enough to transmit all the info sent to the cutter without a break of connection . BTW , I don't think Dan was condesending , just giving great advice to you & future readers of this thread . Your comparison is a bit realistic & I enjoyed it ,... but realize that your reaction ( s ) do seem a bit dramatic IMO ... the batteries will arrive .

Condescending much Dan? Forgive me for expecting the USB connectivity to work on a device sold as supporting USB. As for researching, I have been doing so for 2 days. It does actually take some time to hit on the right keywords to realize it is a USB issue, especially since it took a full day to get the right drivers to get it to connect at ALL. Secondly, you seriously think that it is acceptable for a company to sell an item with false claims if the faults are pinned in a user forum?

As for giving the support team a chance, I don't blame them and I sure as heck won't take it out on them. I used to do support. I know what it is like to get screamed at because some moron in management/sales made promises that us techies couldn't possibly fulfill.

Liz

I was not being condescending nor a smart ass and I am sorry if I came off that way I was just bringing attention to the great wealth of knowledge that our members has posted to help new members out . Many times USCutter has got a bad rap from things beyond their control .

Dan

I replied earlier in this thread. I have the 34inch SC cutter running on a laptop, Windows XP, 1 gig memory, connected through the USB port and I have done a lot of work on my cuttter. I have only had it since late January but it hasn't been a problem. I don't remember if you stated what type of computer/operating system you have, but if so i missed it. I even have an extension on my USB cable to reach the cutter without any problems. I can assure you, the SC does work with the USB, At least mine does. If you would like, pm me with your setup and maybe I can help on the hardware side of things. Like I said previously, I am an electronics technician by trade. I can just imagine how frustrated you are and if I can help in any way, let me know.