emwoodrow

High hopes but REALLY worried

I just got my US Cutter SC series cutter today and I had such high hopes, but I'm really starting to wonder if I made a big expensive mistake. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was... no documentation. Not even a quick start guide. OK. I found the included CD and searched around on it a bit. I found a folder for the SD called Manual. The document inside was in a language vaguely resembling english. It is completely unintelligible. No Windows 7 drivers. Great. I called the support line and was guided to start.uscutter.com, somewhat snarkily. (No, there isn't a sticker on the box telling me to go to the website) OK. That would have been nice information to have at the outset, but I'm game. I followed the instructions, but when I go to set up Signcut, my cutter isn't listed. Reinstall the patch for SD. Nope. Unistall, then reinstall both signcut and patch. No dice. Support is now closed for the day. Fine. I go to the support page hoping for a manual that is actually in English. There I find manauals for every type EXCEPT the SC series. I'm hoping support can get me through this tomorrow, but how can you not have a READABLE, readily available user manual? I can't even install it as a printer, and I did desktop and server support for 10 years!!! PLEASE!! Invest in a contract technical writer. It will pay for itself in reduced support costs in NO TIME.

The SC series cutter is a Liyu cutter which is rebranded- hopefully this will help you with drivers. It is a fairly new cutter to them so their support information afaik hasn't been updated well.

Browse the forums a bit and you may be able to find more answers for your issues as well...

first off you should not need any drivers, just plug it in find the com port the plotter is on via device manager, take not of what port (ex: com3) go to cutting software add plotter select the com port finish adding new cutter load something and do a test with the machine

Hope that helps

Plus those manuals/documentation etc are supplied by the same people who supply the cutter , the manufacturer . Some of the cheaper cutters are Chinese made & thus the language translation issue . I have bought many things with the same issue . Expensive top of the line merchandise doesn't have that problem . USCutter is a distributor that sells cutters & related items & supplies tech support & online items like you mention , Like what was said , the SC sewries is fairly new .

I understand the desire to be cost efficient, but bad documentation is just being penny wise and pound foolish. On my rhinestoning board the consensus is don't bother trying to set it up yourself, just call support and have them log into your machine remotely and do it. So in saving money on documentation, they are WASTING money on man hours, not to mention the fact that many people buying these machines are members of use-specific boards and if you tick one off, you lose their recommendation on the board.

From what I have heard, the support team will probably get me through this (hopefully). Still, I think there is room for improvement without breaking the bank. It would probably sell more cutters for them and cut back on their user support overhead. The user manual is only 17 pages long. How long would it take one of their support people to write it in actual English, then publish it on the support site? I have seen it time and again with my old clients. Support staff swears up and down that they don't have time to do documentation because they don't even have enough staff to support the users. Then when they are prodded to it, they find that they actually DO have enough staff when users have the tools they need to help themselves and the support staff doesn't have to spend all day on the phone walking people through menial crap.

I know people on this board are probably very loyal so maybe seeing someone "bashing" the company raises some hackles. I'm really trying more for constructive criticism.

I agree , USCutter will set it up & no hassle for you . I understand waitng another day is dramatic for some . Many buyers already know how to use & set up a cutter . Some buyers can't find the on switch . You are right about an actual English manual , but in the end , calling support & having them use a remote control session on your computer fixes everything for those who don't know how to set a cutter up or is having problems . I am sure If you would search on this forum , supplied by USCutter , you would find a newbie manual that gives an easy step by step set up . that was done by a member ( CRD ) free of charge to everybody . There is no business where somebody else does not have a " better idea " of how to run it or what to do . That is what is great about owning a business , you can run it the way you want . Taking into consideration suggestions is smart business , but still the owner's/management's decisions .

I did not take your post as " bashing " , but if you think my response was " hackling " ... :lol: , Wait until somebody steps over the " line " & see how loyal members here are :) . I think you got constructive criticism with no negativity at all . just because it is not the answer you wanted , that does not mean it is not constructive . All the posts responding were giving you good advice & valid reasons .

Hi, I am old on the forum but new as a poster as you can see. As already been mentioned, contact US cutter for help through the remote control setup. I purchased the same cutter a short time ago and became somewhat frustrated on setting it up. Through remote control access my cutter was working in about 15 minutes. I am an electronics technician and have extensive computer experience and still needed their help. The call will be worth it. Call the tech support number first even though both sales and tech support on many occasions are answered by the same people. My cutter/plotter has been working flawlessly since. Good luck, (Mike)

Edited by Car8Chief
  • Like 1

Let me clarify, I was expecting heated responses, not replying to existing ones I thought were heated. They got me set up and mostly going. I'm still fighting it, but at least I got past my first big duuuh. Why test cut expensive materials when you can stick the pen in and use paper? duuuh.

You test it with the blade, so you can check your blade offset, depth of the blade, and machine force. Can't do that with a pen. You need to cut vinyl to do that. Unless, your just planning to use the pen the rest of the duration.

I've already gotten past that step. I have seperate blade holders for 45 and 60 degree blades and tweaked the depth on them doing small designs and tested the recommended pressures for my 4 current materials. Now I'm testing larger stuff and it's going bat-guano-crazy. From what I'm reading, hopefully a keyspan adapter will fix me up, but my husband has our only one in his laptop bag, and I'm not buying another until I know that is the fix. That's what I'm using pen and paper to test.

serial cable or keyspan adapter is the best way to go on these inexpensive cutters anyway, even for the future. Put a keyspan adapter or a good serial connection on it and it and forget about it. Make sure you have your stand grounded to the cutter, if you have a stand.

serial cable or keyspan adapter is the best way to go on these inexpensive cutters anyway, even for the future. Put a keyspan adapter or a good serial connection on it and it and forget about it. Make sure you have your stand grounded to the cutter, if you have a stand.

What skeeter said, the keyspan fixed many problems with my machine, also i have found i needed anti static mats for big cuts

No dice on the keyspan adapter. Of course, by the time my husband got home, it is too late to call. I'm back to expensive mistake.

No dice on the keyspan adapter. Of course, by the time my husband got home, it is too late to call. I'm back to expensive mistake.

What does that mean no dice on keyspan adapter? Your very vague. Is it a real by brand name Keyspan adapter? Not all serial cables are equal. Does it communicate? Can you run your cutter?

It communicates and runs the cutter, but it still goes crazy, or just stops in the middle of the job. Another thing I have noted is that the blad does not raise at the end of the job. Here is the pic I sent to tech support. I traced the cut it made with a marker to make it easier to see. It is just a contour around some text. I tried two different adapters. 1 was a generic usb to serial adapter, and the other was a usb to serial hub. It does this every single time. The cut preview shows it cutting properly. I also tried another pretty generic design and it just quit mid-job. I'm tired. I'm frustrated, and I have actual paying work piling up.

funkycut.jpg

You cannot use a hub. Must be direct. As stated, a Keyspan adapter works the best. What driver are you using in the cutting software you are using? And what cutting software?. Try a different driver in your cutting software, Roland PNC1000 is a generic driver. Or try Redsail. Keep trying some different drivers.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c0999baa2

I'm using signcut pro, and the driver was installed by US cutter tech support today via remote control. The hub was just a last ditch effort after the adapter didn't work. You know if the dang USB connectivity doesn't work and the adapter is required then why the heck don't they just say so? I would have ordered the freakin Keyspan adapter when I ordered my cutter! I can't find a keyspan locally, so I will have to pay overnight shipping if I want to find out before Monday if I have wasted my money.

You could as an alternative, Download Signblazer all cutter version, and Use the Liyu SF631 driver. Worth a try. Others are having some issues with Signcut also. You have not possted your file to see if that could be an issue also.

Use download 3rd post down on CUTME

http://forum.uscutte...ad-all-cutters/

It has always been stated here that serial is the way to go....

If you had read and researched a bit member Ash has a pinned post buy a key span adapter and many post with usb connectivity issues are fixed with the adapter USCUTTER has good tec support so give them a chance. In the meantime read the newbie manual and some of the post with similar problems to see if there is a solution there.

Dan

Support said that Signblazer doesn't work with the SC. I actually didn't know I could upload the actual file here. I haven't found that button yet :)

Support said that Signblazer doesn't work with the SC. I actually didn't know I could upload the actual file here. I haven't found that button yet :)

they are probably right on that one. I don't have the cutter, Just a shot in the dark.

Condescending much Dan? Forgive me for expecting the USB connectivity to work on a device sold as supporting USB. As for researching, I have been doing so for 2 days. It does actually take some time to hit on the right keywords to realize it is a USB issue, especially since it took a full day to get the right drivers to get it to connect at ALL. Secondly, you seriously think that it is acceptable for a company to sell an item with false claims if the faults are pinned in a user forum?

As for giving the support team a chance, I don't blame them and I sure as heck won't take it out on them. I used to do support. I know what it is like to get screamed at because some moron in management/sales made promises that us techies couldn't possibly fulfill.

Liz

when you post, There is MORE reply options next to the post button. click it and upload a file, make sure and attach it.