Sign in to follow this  
AISRob

Incomplete cuts with Flexi ONLY

I started using Flexi last week and noticed an irritating problem, so I reached out to a friend. Ironically, he is having the exact same problem with Flexi as I am.

Tested with:

Two machines

With two separate Keyspan Adapters

Without Keyspan Adapters

Serial connection

USB connection

Ensured proper grounds

Two separate installations of Flexi

Two separate installations of SignCut

SC 32"

MH721 MKII

I checked the blade offset between SignCut and Flexi. Signcut is 0.098" (.25mm) where as Flexi didn't have the box checked in the production manager. I changed the offset in Flexi (to 0.010" since it didn't want to accept 0.098") to reflect what was in SignCut with no success.

Results: Flexi has incomplete cuts on both machines on both computers while using Flexi. Cuts are complete within SignCut. Incomplete cuts are sporadic with no particular spot. They can be at angles or in a straight line.

Any ideas?

which version of Flexi? That can be very important.. Many versions out there. FlexiPro? Flexistarter? and on what computer system?

Can u post a picture of the incomplete cut? is it missing parts of it or is it stopping in the middle of the design?

Can u post a picture of the incomplete cut? is it missing parts of it or is it stopping in the middle of the design?

It's an incomplete cut. As in, the line never finishes. Here is an example:

1pw0ua.jpg

Flexi sees it as a complete cut, however it's not sent to the cutter like this:

232088fe925b11e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

Changed the offset to .030in

Changed the Overlap to .400in (from .200in)

Seems to have helped... will keep everyond updated as I continue.

Changed the offset to .030in

Changed the Overlap to .400in (from .200in)

Seems to have helped... will keep everyond updated as I continue.

Those settings shouldn't need to be set that high. I just emailed an old contact who is very familiar with Flexi he has been using it for years I will see if he gets back to me with any ideas. Sounds more like an internal driver issue in your Flexi. Have you gone to the SAI site and looked for updates for the driver you selected in your production manager?

Those settings shouldn't need to be set that high. I just emailed an old contact who is very familiar with Flexi he has been using it for years I will see if he gets back to me with any ideas. Sounds more like an internal driver issue in your Flexi. Have you gone to the SAI site and looked for updates for the driver you selected in your production manager?

Yeah, I'm using the latest driver. It's odd, and I agree.

I also have incomplete cuts with the MH721, and diagonal lines are jagged. The heart was created with the pen tool in illustrator, I think there are only 6 anchor points, it should not be all jagged. my incomplete cuts are very much the same as Rob's are. intricate patterns are almost impossible to weed without damaging the design.

IMG_20120730_234827.jpg

Make sure your cutter is grounded to the stand. Are you running on USB or Serial cable? I had many many issues on USB going to a serial has solved all of them been running flawless ever since... Some members even rub a dryer sheet on the vinyl to help eliminate any static being transferred through the machine.

Serial Cable, it's grounded, sometimes it overlaps designs, or just decides on it's own where to make the cuts. it's pretty frustrating to waste so much vinyl.

Looks like all driver, machine error. It is not a software issue with flexi itself. It is within the setting you are giving it. Your overcut and blade offset numbers are off the charts. Have you called Sai about this and asked them which driver and or settings to use for your specific plotter?

Also what driver within flexi are you using?

I would try the Desay XY-450 driver for that model within flexi.

I'm having the same problem with a MH-721 using Corel X4 and Roland drivers. That is, incomplete cuts causing weeding headaches on small letters. I've used the same files to cut on my Roland plotter with no issues, but would like to resolve this because I can run smaller strips through the MH-721. (can't do it with the Roland, nothing smaller than 13" will track)

I've read many posts here regarding this and similar issues, and some of the fixes involved blade offset and overlap. Is this a Flexi thing? I could not find the issue addressed in the Corel forum and I don't know where to go to adjust the overlap or offset.

Any help would be appreciated.

35 years old timer, trying to keep up...

Can I ask why nothing smaller than 13" will track on a Roland? All that money on a Roland,, and you have to purchase another vinyl cutter to cut small? WOW..

In Flexi software, the blade offset is in the default job properties. The overcut is in the advanced tab. at the top of your cut screen.

At the top of your layout screen is HELP> Help Topics.. which explains how to use your software.

Haha- it's an old Roland Camm-1 pinch roller-the rollers are barely bigger than the wheels on the clamps and one is stationary with the closest one 13" away. Did I mention it was old? It does not have a continuos roller on the bottom just a few places you can pinch to. Anyway, the MH-721 has the ability to adjust the rollers close together, but not the ability to cut the lettering completely. Good thing I have the old Roland to fall back on (cost me $300 and a couple beers from a sign bud who had upgraded)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/thflash/IMAG1344.jpg

I'm responding to your poke because no-one has seriously considered my question. I mentioned in the outset that I had Corel x4 and not Flexi, so I'm unfamiliar with those controls. The Roland performs flawlessly with the same file sent to plot, while the MH-721 leaves a small area uncut on virtually every letter, making weeding a test of patience, much like your post. I also searched the Corel section and could not find any help there. -g

You posted this in a Flexi thread.Under a title stating..INCOMPLETE CUTS WITH FLEXI ONLY ...So excuse me for assuming you were using Flexi as your cutting software.because... that is what you posted. There are no adjustments in Corel. It is NOT cutting software. It is design software only. Good luck...

You could purchase a cutting software like Flexi, or some others. Or download Signblazer here from the forum and try it. It would be located in the Signblazer thread, And is FREE.

Was just kiddin, for crying out loud--is everybody allergic to fun. I'll go to the Corel section when I get time and see if there's some help there. This just seemed to be a better fit to my question/problem. Thanks for your expert help.-g

LOL I was laughing...I can take a joke more than most on here...Flash....once again... Corel is not cutting software. It is design software... You need a cutting software, so you can change the blade offset.

And can't you move that left pinch roller over to the right pinch roller? It may have a screw there, but see if it will slide over to the right... On the Old Roland PNC950 user manual it says it is movable..

My Graphtec is set up like that and does not have a continous grit roller , and I can move it all the way over to the right pinch roller and cut 2" width vinyl.

Yeah, I wish-that thing is screwed down, It would be great if I could move it. I just tried to move it again, no dice. It's permanent, but I have often wondered why there is the configuration of the other rollers that they have down the line. Thanks again