just purchased 25" cutter, plotter. have no idea what supplies to buy for this adventure. i've been in screen printing, and embroidery for 25 years. what kind of vinyl should i buy for t-shirts, and banners, thanks, jake

There are a bunch of different varieties of heat transfer vinyl.SOme are made for cotton textiles,and they make a lower heat for synthetics.Just about every sign supply co. sells their own brand of heat transfer vinyl.The best way to find what you need is to do a google or yahoo search for heat transfer vinyl.If you have been in embroidery,then your embroidery supplier should either carry it or will be able to provide you with the links to find it.

as far as Heat transfer vinyl goes i have found some big differences in them, so far i have used Hotmark 40, Hotmark 70, and Thermoflex

Hotmark 40 is thin, smooth, shiny and it goes right into the fabric, good for cotton and cotton poly blends, Hotmark 70 is almost like the 40 but it is thinner, VERY flexible and you can do amazing detail with it, also good for cotton and cotton poly blends

Thermoflex feels very similar to screenprinting, its heavier and works very well for doing multiple colors also good for cotton and cotton poly blends

there are MANY heat transfer vinyls out there

Hotmark

Thermoflex

EZmark

Duracut

Spectracut

to name a few

As far as vinyl for banners, you could use either calandered or cast, (cast is more expensive, but sometimes lasts longer, deals with curves and contours alot better) calandered is what I use, had bvery good results...

As far as banner material, there are diffrent kinds, but most all do the same thing.  I tend to stay away from the banners that use thermotape on the edges, and tend to go for material that is sewn.