jcprinting

How do you remove very old cracked vinyl?

Hi Everyone,

I need a little bit of help. I have seen tons of tutorials and many YouTube videos for vinyl removal and all show and speak of newer vinyl that hasn't been on the vehicle very long. I want to know how to remove really old vinyl from RVs that has been on there 20 years or more that is cracked. Here is a sample picture (found on the web not of my actual project): post-20880-0-57999900-1334233706.jpg

I appreciate any help with this.

-Jim

Hey CJLOL , a regular razor blade will cut into the paint , I have not tried the plastic razor blades yet . I tried to get a reflective decal off a dump truck that had been on for years . Rubber wheel , every liquid I could find .. heat gun .. by the time I got it off , I had damaged the paint so I sanded the both sides & painted them . White so the color fade was not much of an issue .

Lil Pink Chizzler and lots and lots of patience. As Rodger said once you get it off you will have sun fade so if you are recreating this I would go a little larger all the way around to hide it. I use baby shampoo and water just keep the whole thing wet have a good radio station on and if its sunny make sure you have sunblock on LOL

I wonder if the way they remove window tint would work? Wet it down with the same solution they use which is water and ammonia. Place a black plastic bag on it for hours out in the sun and let that do its wonders. Guess its worth a try, what can it hurt!

I wonder if the way they remove window tint would work? Wet it down with the same solution they use which is water and ammonia. Place a black plastic bag on it for hours out in the sun and let that do its wonders. Guess its worth a try, what can it hurt!

This won't be real effect because with removing window film you are actually trapping the heat to the adhesive which is up against the glass... If this was a decal on the inside of a window it would work great!! But since the adhesive isn't going to be actually exposed to the heat I think elbow grease is more effective.

Steamers work wonders for this.

I agree. I read somewhere on here about removing old vinyl with a steamer so I gave it a try and I was simply amazed at how easy the vinyl removed. There was almost no residue left behind. I have one similar to this 0088449300021_300X300.jpg

I just replaced some OLD vinyl logos on my cars. They barely had any color left, I just used brake cleaner on a rag and some elbow grease.

I agree. I read somewhere on here about removing old vinyl with a steamer so I gave it a try and I was simply amazed at how easy the vinyl removed. There was almost no residue left behind. I have one similar to this 0088449300021_300X300.jpg

I have one of those and I NEVER USE IT.. now i just might try to dig it out of the closet LOL