Sign in to follow this  
absolute_customs

to screen print or not?

I just got a call from a church looking to get 50 shirts screen printed. They only have a budget of $6.50 a shirt. I have done any screen printing orders. Does this sound profitable? How would you suggest that i run numbers so see what my costs would be? The design is only 1 color.

Thanks!

That's a low budget for only 50 shirts, but yes it's still profitable. That's about what I charged to do 200 last week.

Is screen printing really much better then cutting heat press and doing them with a heat press? I just started doing basic shirts a couple weeks ago using heat transfer vinyl and with doing just simple lettering and design I like it. But what is the advantages of going to a screen printing set up. I have people showing a lot of interest in doing shirts for their companies and events and I am wondering if I would be further ahead to look at getting a screen printing setup.

Ive noticed with churches and other non profit organizations if you do the job at a lower price like what there budget is you dont make a lot of profit in the first run but once you've helped them they are very loyal to you and you will make your profits more and more over time...... Like one chuch I printed shirts for then paid me to come in for Christmas and hang all there banners and that was very easy and quick money that made some good profit........

• Like 1

Check out FM Expressions they have a deal for a single color plastisol transfer $20 set up and .15 per so for 50 of them they would run $27.50 plus shipping (I would order 60 as a lot of times the customer will say can I add x more) I have used them many times and always been happy with them. So if you get your shirts for $3 each or less you will have less than $4 in each shirt which will still leave you with $2.50 profit for each. Not bad when you consider the ease of doing a single sided press.

• Like 1

Ive noticed with churches and other non profit organizations if you do the job at a lower price like what there budget is you dont make a lot of profit in the first run but once you've helped them they are very loyal to you and you will make your profits more and more over time...... Like one chuch I printed shirts for then paid me to come in for Christmas and hang all there banners and that was very easy and quick money that made some good profit........

Thats what I have been thinking. My step sister is pretty well known in the church, so im hoping that helps pass some business my way.

Check out FM Expressions they have a deal for a single color plastisol transfer $20 set up and .15 per so for 50 of them they would run $27.50 plus shipping (I would order 60 as a lot of times the customer will say can I add x more) I have used them many times and always been happy with them. So if you get your shirts for $3 each or less you will have less than $4 in each shirt which will still leave you with $2.50 profit for each. Not bad when you consider the ease of doing a single sided press.

Thanks for the reply! Never thought of it that way, but your correct!

How is the quality of the transfers from FM Expressions? I have been using transfer express ( a stahls company) and they are great but cost much more pre transfer - i'm really thinking about ordering some to check them out - i have several customers that love the quality from transfer express but if its the same i'll of course go with the cheaper one to make more money

I would recommend Ace Transfer for custom transfers as well. I have been using them for years for single and multi color transfers and have been very happy with their service, quality and delivery times!

bigtracy, after looking at that site I will say it really has me interested. We have been touching on the idea of adding silk screening to our offerings, but this would simplify it greatly. if possible Id love to see an example or two of garments printed from their transfers...

Bruce

hey liquidfusion - i just requested samples from FM expressions - i'll let you know how they turn out - i too have been using transfer express and i will have to say they have been great thus far except for the cost - i have had other samples from some of the others and they havent been up to par

i will say the samples from ace trans co were great

i just got samples today from versa transfer and i'm pressing them tomorrow will let you know asap! this forum is great to be able to share thoughts on these companies and quality / pricing....

michael