mountaindr3wz

Is this a Static problem?

I am currently working on a sign for a dental office and the walk ins welcome sign is not working out for me on my cutter. I have attached a photo of the sign, I used the pen attachment because i was tired of wasting vinyl. Now the original sign will be 36" long and 3.8inches wide.

The first "walk-ins welcome" sign is the original 36" size, the second is 24" and the third is 12". As you can see theres clearly something wrong with either the file or my cutter. On the 12", cutting doesn't stray but on the larger sizes, cutting strays. Any help would be appreciated!

my current setup:

- MH-871 w/ keyspan adapter

- inkscape w/ signcut pro

- all running on a mac

here is both the .eps file and the photo(sorry for the low quality)

text.eps

post-23901-0-86789600-1333246259.jpg

The file opened fine for me in Flexi on a PC. Didn't actually cut it but it looks fine in the production manager. Looks to me to be a communication error. I know the post says you have a keyspan but I had the exact problem a few months back on my setup and it turned out to be the USB driver went sour. Perhaps the keyspan driver is causing the same issue... I didn't have it happen on every cut but a few files it would just all of a sudden cut lines across the image and cut straight lines where curves should have been. Once I went to a serial cable all was fine. I would try reloading your drivers.

Time doesn't hurt the cables . Something tugging on them .. moving the machine , something falling on the cable ( what made my cable go bad ) ... anything that would give the cable a yank .

I had my cable for over a year, but had to replace it every 6 months because of how often I moved the cutter around.... the USB end often got damaged more than anything.

Did you ever get an answer? I had this problem with the same cutter. Once I upgraded the memory and set up SignCut to do step cutting, no more problems. Aside from that, the only real static problem I've faced has been due to Siser EasyWeed heat press vinyl. Solution to static (only one that's worked) is to keep a dryer sheet near by. Always keep the machine OFF while loading any material. Wipe down all surfaces of the cutter before loading. If possible, cut what you need from the roll, if not, wipe the roll before loading. Make slower cuts and again, use "step cutting" in signcut. Not sure what it would be in any other software. Static killed the Z Chip in the first 3 months (winter) I had the machine.

Try stuffing some fabric anti-static dryer sheets into the roll when you cut. Otherwise, yeah it may be a USB fart of some sort.

The answer to the question of this thread is to buy a better cutter. Ive been building computers for 10 years, ive never had a cable "go bad" unless it got sucked into a vacume cleaner. I tend to jam them into pockets and cram them in the smallest holes when traveling without ever having to think twice about their durability.

Just way way way to much crap to deal with if you ask me.

Then again signcut did this same kind of crap to me just now on my Graphtec. Opened Flexi and problem solved. SC freezes on me and does all kind of stupid crap when using it to so i would step up as soon as you can.

The other thing I found to be true, is if you're trying to send the data to the cutter faster than it can handle, ie- if you have your cutter set to cut at warp speed and it's not getting the data fast enough to keep cutting it may do that. The other hand is also true, if your cutter can't handle the data flow coming in too fast it can get confused and lose data. Try slowing the cutter down a lot and see if it helps.