azdecals

Question for Ebay Sellers - re: New Shipping requirement

I have a question for all you ebay sellers. When I first started selling on ebay I was using paypal to ship my 9"x6" envelopes. It worked pretty well for a year or so, then i started getting more and more returned because they didn't meet the "large/thick" envelope requirement. I was being charged ~1.44 at the time with "free" delivery confirmation. Any that got lost I just resent new ones. It was (and still is) my understanding that even with DC ebay will side with the buyer and refund thier money if there is a dispute. I should also point out that I was charging 1.99 shipping for a 3.99 decal. (and getting dinged for high shipping on my DSR)

At some point I decided to get a stamps.com account and start printing regular postage $.45 stamp, and I lowered my shipping fee to .99 for one decal, or free for two or more. Sales have been steady and increased some over the last year or so.

So here is my problem. With ebay's new "requirement" to have tracking/DC info on 90% of shipments, what are you guys doing to conform to the new policy? I realize I can TRY to increase my price to cover the shipping (as ebay suggests), but that still leaves me with the issue of my mailing envelopes not being big enough to meet the large/thick envelop/package requirment.

Are you guys just going to tell ebay to pack sand and not worry about the tracking/DC (and lose your TSR) or have you come up with a way around this requirement, or figured out how to ship a 5x5 decal in an acceptable envelope/package?

azdecals

Personally, I am not going to meet their requirements. I sell very large expensive decals, and will not offer a 14 day return.

I have been shipping 6" x 9" manilla envelopes for years with no problems.with delivery confirmation. Put a styro peanut in it. And the label has to be placed Top/ bottom on the short side of the envelope. That's what my post office told me. I have never had a return. But I always use delivery confirmation on everything and will continue to. About 2 years ago, I just raised my prices and included FREE ship on all. My prices are still very reasonable, so my sales never changed , still very busy. I cannot do 1 day ship, because buyers just don't take the time to read, I offer 20 colors on my ads., of course they don't leave a color choice, So, I email them and give them 2 days to respond back, Sometimes they never do. So, I always have 2 days handling to cover my orders.. I ship in 1 day or next day if I have the info. I will lose my Top Rated Seller discount,but I can live with that. You still get to keep your TOP RATED SELLER status..as long as you maintain good DSRs. Ebay does not take into account that there are many sellers who do custom made orders. They will also lose a lot sellers who sell inexpensive items. They don't live in the real world.

• Like 2

I've read about ppl doing the peanut in the envelope thing. I was concerned it might cause a problem with the decal? Have you ever had any issues with that? Now that you mention the format of address label, when I started I was using plain paper, which when taped to the 9x6 envelope would have the address on the "short" side. I changed to long thin labes that are oriented to the long side and thats probably when i started having problems with them getting returned.

My volume is so low the 20% discount I could care less about, but the TSR and the search preference is what I'm having a hard time giving up.

Within certain catigories you can have drop down menus for colors (and sizes). I haven't gotten around t redoing my listings to use this option. I think it might be handy since i "think" most folks find my listings via search instead of category.

I've found some 9x6x1 1/4" boxes on line for 20 cents each. I might do that instead of the peanut thing and see how sales go with the higher price. Luckly the've lowered the sales volume requirements (for now) that might off set the loss in sales due to price.

azdecals

When using 6" x 9" envelopes, my decals are between card board, so there is no damage by a styro peanut.

Yes, there are some categories that have drop downs for colors, but not my category. And you have to stay in the correct category, or your auctions will be removed. I have been in the same category for over 6 years. I have a store on Ebay, I'm sure most of my listings are also found by search, and repeat buyers. As I can go into my Ebay traffic and see what terms buyers are using to find me. And how many buyers visit my store.. I am not changing a thing as far as my listings. Life goes on. I just am losing my discount...

Personally, I am not going to meet their requirements. I sell very large expensive decals, and will not offer a 14 day return.

I have been shipping 6" x 9" manilla envelopes for years with no problems.with delivery confirmation. Put a styro peanut in it. And the label has to be placed Top/ bottom on the short side of the envelope. That's what my post office told me. I have never had a return. But I always use delivery confirmation on everything and will continue to. About 2 years ago, I just raised my prices and included FREE ship on all. My prices are still very reasonable, so my sales never changed , still very busy. I cannot do 1 day ship, because buyers just don't take the time to read, I offer 20 colors on my ads., of course they don't leave a color choice, So, I email them and give them 2 days to respond back, Sometimes they never do. So, I always have 2 days handling to cover my orders.. I ship in 1 day or next day if I have the info. I will lose my Top Rated Seller discount,but I can live with that. You still get to keep your TOP RATED SELLER status..as long as you maintain good DSRs. Ebay does not take into account that there are many sellers who do custom made orders. They will also lose a lot sellers who sell inexpensive items. They don't live in the real world.

As for a color choice if they dont say just do white and put it in the terms to say if they dont pick a color default is white or what ever color we have on hand at the time of shipping.

As for a color choice if they dont say just do white and put it in the terms to say if they dont pick a color default is white or what ever color we have on hand at the time of shipping.

LOL I have been at this a LONG time. And do use a default color on my ads And have been negged a few times for not contacting the buyer for a color choice, when I first started selling. They blame the seller for not contacting them. And I have it stated 3 times on my ads to leave a color choice or they will get the default color. They just don't read!!! This works for me. I have had 100% for several years. and 5 Stars across the board. I send 2 emails I thru EBAY, I thru Paypal address. That shows I did attempt to contact them. They have 2 days to contact back with a color choice or they get default color, and if they will confirm their color sooner, I can ship it sooner. It works for me. I have tried all ways.

Here is a message from about a week ago , after I contacted the buyer. they just don't read!!! And here he is even choosing 2 colors, when the ad states the decal is single color only....LOL Another email back at him....

]Hi, didn't realize a color chose was involved - see how much I read - hahahaha The one shown is good, (white background and black lettering) as long as other drivers can see (living in NYC) just how I feel, they may just stay further back. I love this saying, says exactly how I feel most days.

Thanks again!

I have seen others sellers sites also, where buyers will neg because the seller didn't contact for a color choice. They also have a default color listed. And of course, those buyers make my block bidder list. I don't even want to do business with them. It's damn if you do, and damn if you don't . So, I do make the effort to contact the buyer.... and most times I am thanked very much for doing it.

• Like 1

Whats the point of adding a packing peanut to the envelope?

You can only add delivery confirmation to package or thick envelope. You cannot use it on a First Class letter. Peanut makes the envelope thicker. Supposed to be 3/4" thick.

The Post Office dropped the thickness requirement about 2 years ago. I use padded envelopes and stick a piece of coroplast (I have plenty of scraps)) to keep it from being folded. I get the padded envelopes (7x12) in case lots of 100 for about 30 cents each.Self sealing too...which I love.

I never,EVER ship without DC...it's asking for trouble.

Skeeter, are you buying the cardboard or are you cutting them yourself? If you are buying them can you point me to where you are getting them? I was looking for cardboard inserts when I found the boxes I mentioned earlier.

azdecals

The Post Office dropped the thickness requirement about 2 years ago. I use padded envelopes and stick a piece of coroplast (I have plenty of scraps)) to keep it from being folded. I get the padded envelopes (7x12) in case lots of 100 for about 30 cents each.Self sealing too...which I love.

I never,EVER ship without DC...it's asking for trouble.

yes, they did drop the thickness requirement, BUT it seems like there are some post offices that don't know that. I have read problems in the Ebay forums on those 6" x 9" envelopes.

Skeeter, are you buying the cardboard or are you cutting them yourself? If you are buying them can you point me to where you are getting them? I was looking for cardboard inserts when I found the boxes I mentioned earlier.

azdecals

I sell more large decals, then I do small, I cut my own from boxes delivered here. Plenty of Vinyl and tape boxes.

LOL I have been at this a LONG time. And do use a default color on my ads And have been negged a few times for not contacting the buyer for a color choice, when I first started selling. They blame the seller for not contacting them. And I have it stated 3 times on my ads to leave a color choice or they will get the default color. They just don't read!!! This works for me. I have had 100% for several years. and 5 Stars across the board. I send 2 emails I thru EBAY, I thru Paypal address. That shows I did attempt to contact them. They have 2 days to contact back with a color choice or they get default color, and if they will confirm their color sooner, I can ship it sooner. It works for me. I have tried all ways.

Here is a message from about a week ago , after I contacted the buyer. they just don't read!!! And here he is even choosing 2 colors, when the ad states the decal is single color only....LOL Another email back at him....

]Hi, didn't realize a color chose was involved - see how much I read - hahahaha The one shown is good, (white background and black lettering) as long as other drivers can see (living in NYC) just how I feel, they may just stay further back. I love this saying, says exactly how I feel most days.

Thanks again!

I have seen others sellers sites also, where buyers will neg because the seller didn't contact for a color choice. They also have a default color listed. And of course, those buyers make my block bidder list. I don't even want to do business with them. It's damn if you do, and damn if you don't . So, I do make the effort to contact the buyer.... and most times I am thanked very much for doing it.

Very true people do forget to read