markvvq

First attempt at sandblast

This is just a rum bottle I grabbed to see if this would work OK. My son wants me to help him decorate the items he makes in glass. Simple Harbor Freight cabinet and a file from the disk I got when I bought my plotter. Bad pic because of the glare from the flash.

Mark

post-21291-0-88910700-1331753119.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments.

What you see in the pic is the back of the label. I think this technique has some definate uses in decorating Champagne bottles etc. to give as wedding gifts. I did discover that you have to apply the vinyl before weeding. It is interesting to see how nicely a cheap blaster can etch. I will try just weeding parts and blasting to get deeper than weed the parts I need shallower and reblast all. I believe I can achieve the illusion of more depth that way. I would love to see more examples of others work and get some tips. I have looked at the archives here and picked up several good tips and ideas although I don't remember who to credit. I was shoked that the blasting didn't seem to affect the vinyl at all and I was using Oracle 631. 60lbs. of pressure and alluminium oxide 70 grit.

Mark

Hmmm , I weed the stencil & apply :huh: I have found out using less pressure ( I use 30 psi ) gives alot more control though it takes a bit longer .

Thanks for posting Markwv, I am going to Harbor Freight today to get my blast cabinet and I can't wait to use it. You inspired me to try this out. Beautiful work.

Shelley

Thanks for posting Markwv, I am going to Harbor Freight today to get my blast cabinet and I can't wait to use it. You inspired me to try this out. Beautiful work. Shelley
Don't buy the glass beads or sand as blasting media, get the black media.

I have been using 150 grit Aluminum Oxide @ 40 psi for my blasting. It cuts fast and you can get good depth also.

I have been using 150 grit Aluminum Oxide @ 40 psi for my blasting. It cuts fast and you can get good depth also.

I also use aluminum oxide

I bought my sandblaster last week and made etched pyrex pans for a auction our church had for a girls camp fundraiser and the next day made a set for a bridal shower gift. Great way to advertise, already have several people wanting them now. I was so busy I didn't get pictures, but now I have an excuse to make some for myself.

I primarily use my cutter to make my stencils for etching, probably 85% is dedicated to that end of my home business. I use a cabinet I found on Craigslist and bought a pressuriezed tank with a deadman's handle from JEGS and it holds 100 lbs of sand. I buy my aluminum oxide locally and get the 220 grit brown sand for $45 for a 50 lb. bag and I recycle it numerous times. I blast at about 90 psi on the compressor and it blasts deep and fast. I just finished a job of 48 beer mugs for a golf tournament and each one took me about 20 seconds to blast with the setup I have. Just don't try your luck at blasting in the rainy, damp, cold of a garage. Can be very frustrating!!!

Good luck and your first project looks great!!!

I just used my Air Eraser for the first time, and I'm looking for a little advice.

You can see my project here: http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/38707-fired-up-the-air-eraser-for-the-1st-time/

I really like the reverse style on this. The problem is that it took forever. Can someone recommend a blaster that will do a larger area, but not be too big for craft jobs?

I have a 100psi 5 gallon compressor, so hopefully something that will work with that as well. Thanks.

Hmmm , I weed the stencil & apply :huh: I have found out using less pressure ( I use 30 psi ) gives alot more control though it takes a bit longer .

Does anyone else agree with this? I was keeping it at 65, but the needle dropped to around 40 when I was actually blasting. What pressure do you use?

The $200 cabinet from Harbor frieght does a great job & you don't waste the blasting media . I use the same size compressor as you have with it & it keeps up for me .

I have two cabinets one is the large hf cab and I use a pressure pot with 80 grit garnnet at about 30 psi,On the other cabinet, I built a larger one that I can use as a pass thru cabinet and I have a 40lb pressure pot using 180 ao at about the same pressure. I use that one mostly for my larger glass like the glass door inserts. I also like having two different grits so I can get a different texture on some pieces.

Bob 

Can someone recommend a blaster that will do a larger area, but not be too big for craft jobs?

I use this $20 gun from Tractor Supply -- http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmart-reg-hand-held-abrasive-blaster-3907845.

I lucked out later and found a good deal on a Habor Freight blasting box with a bad gun, so I use this inside the cabinet now, but if you're looking to do small jobs on an infrequent basis, you can get by without a box, you'll just be using more abrasive media as you won't have any way to collect and re-use it.

Note: You'll need to buy different abrasive powder - you can use the 220 AO powder in this blaster, but you'll go through it so fast it won't be financially feasible to do multiple items.

Another alternative, if you plan to do mostly reverse etching, US Cutter sells a Dip & Etch product (http://www.uscutter.com/Silhouette-dip-n-etch-etching-fluid-assorted-sizes) that will let you cover the areas you want to leave clear, dip, rinse off and remove the stencil.  I have not tried this yet to know how well it works.

I lucked out later and found a good deal on a Habor Freight blasting box with a bad gun, so I use this inside the cabinet now, but if you're looking to do small jobs on an infrequent basis, you can get by without a box, you'll just be using more abrasive media as you won't have any way to collect and re-use it.

Another alternative, if you plan to do mostly reverse etching, US Cutter sells a Dip & Etch product (http://www.uscutter.com/Silhouette-dip-n-etch-etching-fluid-assorted-sizes) that will let you cover the areas you want to leave clear, dip, rinse off and remove the stencil. 

I went ahead and got the box. I work out of my basement and much prefer the grit being contained rather than getting all over.

The only thing I need to learn now, is how to recycle the aluminum oxide. I'm pretty sure the glass bits will jam up the gun unless I have a way to filter them out. Any advice? Thanks.

I have never tried to recycle the 220 grit AO, only the larger 80/90 grit stuff.  I have seen reports of people using baking soda in place of the 220 grit AO in an air eraser - one story specifically said he used a pin vise to open up the feed holes in the brass disc at the bottom of the resevoir a tiny bit to make it easier to use the baking soda.   If you can get that work reliably, then you won't have to worry about recycling.

I put my finger over the tip to clear the nozzle at times . I think by the time the glass particles become an issue , the nedia will be broken down finer & best to replace it all . I leave the compressor at 120 psi & have a regulator right before it goes into the cabinet .

I can't find it.... where the heck do you buy aluminum oxide in the fine grit like 150 and up in bulk (20lbs or more) to use in the cabinet?  I can find the little 16oz bottles at Harbor Freight for 10 bucks each but one would have to buy a crap load to fill up the cabinet.

Try an Industrial supply house or if you have a Graingers around they carry it or could order it