kelliann

Hanging Street Banners

Iam a newbie, but I have a few 4x40 street banners under my belt. I have tried a few things to reinforce the corners, because they seem to be ripping out. The weather plays a huge factor where the banners are located, mostly the high winds (traffic is only 25 mph, so that isn't an issue). I believe that it is the installation on the wires that has contributed to the corner grommets pulling out. I have no part in the installation, I just provide the banner. I understand that nearly all of the banners that are displayed in this location do the samething. From the pictures you can see how the city hangs the banner with clips onto a wire (the banner can freely move along the wire). Then the corners are tightened with a different cable. The banner is usually saggy. I have attached a photo, and I was hoping that you could give your feedback on the hanging of the banner.

I spoke with a friend who is an engineer about my issue and his ideas were great, but I need to hear from someone who experience with this. I would like to include some recommendations to the city with my next banner.

post-21592-0-63027200-1331150194.jpg

I just went to a free class at a local supply company . I have not done any banners, but they had some plastic devices that replace grommets , They showed how they out perform grommets big time . I'll see if i can find the name of the device . I think that taking some 2 - 1" X 1" wood/steel & making a clamp out of them for the entire end would eliminate the problem & be the best idea . That way you would be pulling the entire width instead of just 2 corners ( sometimes all on 1 corner ) .

I have always just weaved the cable through the grommets..(Installing extra grommets also) and using super heavy duty zip ties at the corners to keep the banner from folding up like an accordion. I know another guy who across town who uses "eye" bolts with washers and nuts and attaches those to the grommets and runs his line through that..... I used to make my own banners and had a local canvas shop hem them for me with a good triple sew and I would run the line through the hem itself and put a cable clamp on each end of the banner to keep it from sliding back and forth but now for what you can order pre made banner rolls for I have migrated to the weaving method with punching a few extra grommets in. No problems but most all of them I do are only up for a few weeks for special events.

They make banners with what they call a "Pole Pocket" across the entire top to run the cable or pole through just for hanging.

• Like 1

They make banners with what they call a "Pole Pocket" across the entire top to run the cable or pole through just for hanging.

I've never seen those but that is exactly what I had the canvas shop do for me.. I will have to look and see about ordering some already made and see what the price is