bogiestl

Okay, so they have lasers, but...

I used to do printing and cutting with a Mutoh and a Graphtec CE5000-120, so I do know a little... Don't have those machines anymore, but I'm trying to get restarted, etc., and have a large Mimaki, and I still have my little 28" US Cutter cutter (but the stand is at the ex's...)... I'm running Flexi print/cut 8.1 for the Mimaki (and it is what I used with the Mutoh/Graphtec combo), and the 28" is used with Signblazer or something like that, and is mostly just used for stickies and t-shirt stuff...

Now, I did a bit of contour cutting, but not a great deal. I'm looking for an OCCASIONAL USE machine - if I was going to be doing it a lot, I'd go with a Graphtec again...

Now, I understand that some people are getting the SC and the TC machines to work for doing the contour bit - if you're one of those people, what software are you using? The way things stand today, I'd go with one of the laserpoint things, but I'd prefer a wider machine now that I have the wider printer running.

Thanks!

I have read the newer-est Flexi starter will contour cut with any cutter . I have never contour cut , but would make an outline in SignBlazer on stuff I made . Putting printed vinyl in & making the point of origin seems it would be a problem . At least with my Copam . It has an optical eye that measures , then sets the origin . There may be a way to set a point of origin , but I have never tried , researched or needed it yet .

If anyone has managed to get one of the SC or TC machines to work with the "move stuff around and align it by eye" with the Flexistarter 10 package, I'd love to hear... I'm not looking to do this every day, but it's a "must have" for occasional use. FWIW, my little 28" machine has been working well since 2007 or so...

Flexistarter10 with contour cutting works on most any vinyl cutter, It does not use a. laser eye. Flexistarter measures from the blade in the center of the registration mark. No laser required. Go to this EBAY ad, and follow down thru the pictures on the ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlexiStarter10-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-Sign-Flexi-Starter-Flexisign-SAi-8-/180832491321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1a74d739

So, if I pick up one of the bundled Ebay deals, I should be happy? I can deal with pushing buttons and lining stuff up - it's money that's the problem these days...

yeah i got mine working ..here's how im doing it.. i design my artwork in whatever inkscape,xara,illustrator,corel .. whatever you got.. import it to flexi starter .. click effects contour cut.. then effects contour cut mark it puts the reg marks on around the artwork..

print out the artwork with the 4 reg marks.. then laminate it or whatever ..

then load it in your cutter and click on the actual red knife icon in flexi starter "cut contour" it opens a window choose interactive line it up 4 times and it cuts..

i got the 34 inch sc machine and once i figured out a few problems i was having its cutting perfect and the tracking is pretty much dead on .. haven't tried cutting any long runs with contour yet but hope to soon.

the machine is not fast but it certainly does what it says it does..

forgot to mention once the laser is lined up in the crosshair you can almost see the focus change or something i dunno how to explain it but when its lined up youll know it .. its pretty easy.