The Vinyl Shop

Hello From NJ "The Vinyl SHop"

As I stated before, I don't have your vinyl cutter. so I don't know what the force numbers are supposed to be. I have a Graphtec which is totally different, but the basic set up is the same for all cutters. Cut thru the vinyl and no marks on the wax paper backing.

Thanks. I did more test cuts and I am at 55g is that too much? Im not even making a score in the backing paper and Im just making it through the vinyl.

What angle is the blade you are using?

Question..are you wanting it to cut all the way through the backing paper?

No just a clean cut on the vinyl. I think the blade has to come out more. Im at 60g pressure now and the cut looks ALMOST just right but that weight seems high?

too much blade I bet. Just keep making adjustments til it cuts right. I spent a few hours the last time.

Thanks all!! I just cant get the sign pro software to repeat the image I want to cut. This has been one of the most non productive wasted 2 days I have ever spent lol.

You are trying to cut too fast and too much pressure. Can you take a picture of the blade?, should be able to guess the angle from it. set the speed to 300 and the pressure around 16-20 g

I have it fine now. Its cutting great upon the advice of the us cutter support team. I made my settings where the blade would cut through one sheet of paper and not the one under it so the depth is perfect. They also said your pressure is nominally between 80-100gm. I run 70 for regular vinyl and 80 for chrome. Been working great my only problem is I still cant repeat the image to cut.

220 weight, 800 speed

+1 , 120 is the starting place for pressure IMO .That eliminates many variables . I am cutting at 170 right now . John has probably cut more vinyl than all of us including the USC techs ^-^ , so i advise to value his advice . As has been typed many times , best way to adjust the blade is take the holder & by hand , press hard on vinyl until it is cutting the vinyl all the way thru but not the backing paper . Then fine tune with pressure .

+1 , 120 is the starting place for pressure IMO .That eliminates many variables . I am cutting at 170 right now . John has probably cut more vinyl than all of us including the USC techs ^-^ , so i advise to value his advice . As has been typed many times , best way to adjust the blade is take the holder & by hand , press hard on vinyl until it is cutting the vinyl all the way thru but not the backing paper . Then fine tune with pressure .

I guess it all depends on the machine and the vinyl...I just go by Ken Imes' advice...and he knows cutters. "More pressure,less blade". That is probably why I haven't had to replace a cutting strip in 5 years ...and get 6 months or so out of a $2 blade. But you are right..I do cut a lot of vinyl.

I guess it all depends on the machine and the vinyl...I just go by Ken Imes' advice...and he knows cutters. "More pressure,less blade". That is probably why I haven't had to replace a cutting strip in 5 years ...and get 6 months or so out of a $2 blade. But you are right..I do cut a lot of vinyl.

Ken's advice is what i remember making things E-Z for me . If there are no rub marks on the vinyl from the holder .. not right :) . I am frugal with $ like most on this forum . I bought alot of blades on e-bay from USC ( no minimum ) . I was the highest bidder , so they got more than the previous bid . I have about $1 or less in each blade . I am sure the higher priced blades are superior , but not @ least 4x more at regular price ( 16X + more at my price :) ) .

Im cutting chrome nicely at 61g. Took alot of trys though for a clean cut.

That is the best way is thru trial and error and advice from the pros . I always do a test cut every time I change vinyl and the seldom times I change blades it saves a lot of headaches by doing test cuts and finetuning .

Dan

so tell us more... what's happening? I put my pinch rollers about an 1/2-inch from the edge of vinyl. I use 2 pinch rollers. (Graphtec) 'cause that's all I have. LOL but I know some of the other machines have 3.