THier

New Laptop,, P-cut won't inititionize

OK,, So I had not used my plotter for a while,, and had a laptop failure,, so I replaced the laptop with a windows7 machine. When I look at Device manager there is a problem shown on my USB to Serial. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling still no go. When I try to send a job to cutter,, it says it failed to initionize.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Skeeter,, thanks for the link,, tried all of that,, but got the error message. The disc I have is from 2004-2005, has no windows7 drivers. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

what disc are you referring to? Disc for what?

In the trouble shooting if the online driver fails to load correctly,, it suggests to use the driver disc that came with the machine.

I can't upload the screen shot of my driver page.......

sounds like you are referring to the driver that came with your usb to serial cable. You will need to either purchase a windows 7 compatible Usb to serial cable. Buy a Keyspan adapter. or go the Cable brand company website, and see if they have a windows 7 driver for your cable.

sounds like you are referring to the driver that came with your usb to serial cable. You will need to either purchase a windows 7 compatible Usb to serial cable. Buy a Keyspan adapter. or go the Cable brand company website, and see if they have a windows 7 driver for your cable.

There is only a USB cable inline. My understanding is there is some sort of USB to serial conversion going on internal in the machine.

If you were running a different program with your cutter see if windows 7 will let you run it in that version. But before you do that, you might have to update to Windows 7 ultimate or windows premium to change the mode. look under program manager and right click on the plotter's program and then left click on properties. you should see under here the mode to run the program under to to make compatable to

Taz,, Great idea,, I hadn't thought of that,, unfortunately it is still a no-go,, DARN DARN DARN!

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

OK,, Just tried something,, grabbed the daughters laptop,, (XP OS) loaded up signblazer, drivers ect,, plotter works fine!!!! So there is something with windows7. I would hate to have to steal daughters laptop back, not saying I wouldn't,, just saying I would hate to!!!!!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I run windows 7 with a Laserpoint with no issues. I truly think its a com port issue or like previously mentioned you will need a keyspan with windows 7 compatability. Goodluck

OK,, Just tried something,, grabbed the daughters laptop,, (XP OS) loaded up signblazer, drivers ect,, plotter works fine!!!! So there is something with windows7. I would hate to have to steal daughters laptop back, not saying I wouldn't,, just saying I would hate to!!!!!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

XP is what I run on, I don't upgrade, and never have problems, I actually have an XP backup. computer. You can still get great deals on EBAY for XP computers. some even with serial ports.

You will want your computer, to be a dedicated computer only for vinyl cutting.

Also try the keyspan adapter. If there are no other options

OK talked to customer service Monday,, I had them all stumped as well,, seems the digital device signature is an issue,, not really sure if I want to disable it through the registry,,, hmmmmmmmm. Thanks for all the help though. I may have to do design on this machine, and take my portable laptop down to the plotter.

Thanks,

Tom

Ok,, Spent 3 hrs on the phone with Microsoft,, and Asus,, MS blamed it on Asus,, Asus blamed it on the driver,, so three hrs of my life wasted,, I am more leaning towards the Asus as being the problem. We tried to download drivers from Asus,, MS,, and still have the same thing. I am thinking this will be the last Asus machine I ever buy,,, The head phone port went bad shortly after I bought it,, (mechanical issue which won't let the speakers work) which I can live without,, I usually use head phones anyway,, but this issue kind of really ticks me off.

THANKS,

Tom

If it's really a driver signing problem in win7, there may be a work-around. See this:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=34

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b

A bit of work but may be worth it, depending on your anti-virus program as it seems they have coerced some companies into flagging this program as "riskware"...