jimmy_JDM

PCut CTN630 cuts in the same spot 3 times

Hello Jimmy in Sweden

You have more than one object on top of another.

In other words if you had a single circle there are actually three circles as a single combined object.

If you post the EPS file here i will fix it for you.

I notice that CS3 does this!

Jerry from SignBlazer,

Hello Jimmy,

Perhaps you should try a copy of SignBlazer Elements.

You can download a copy and try it out with no restrictions for 30 days.

Here is the file repaired.

In EPS and SBD formats.

How it did it

1. Opened the file in Illustrator CS3

2. Copied and pasted it to SignBlazer Elements.

3. First thing i noticed when i selected it was that the area selected was larger than the text. (this is a warning that there are hidden or transparent objects)

4. I then "ungrouped" the graphics.

5. I then used "split objects" command to break all objects to the basic components.

6. Then i chose each separate item and clicked on node edit and then select.

7. This tells me if it is really a single object, i then made it green to separate it from all other objects.

8. Then i used color select and this told me that i had green objects, white objects (which was actually transparent text objects as SignBlazer supports transparent vector objects) and black objects. (the black text objects were hidden)

9. Then from the color select dialog box i chose black and deleted the objects, then white and deleted all white objects.

10. To make absolutely sure all other objects were deleted i cut the green text objects to the clipboard and opened a  new drawing.

11. pasted in green text objects and saved it as EPS and SBD files.

Sounds complicated, however it was not., took me all of 17 seconds to do the above,.

Note.

With CS3 and CS2 Illustrator when you trace objects there is perhaps a bug or perhaps simply bad programming as it often puts more than one trace around parts of traced objects.

Perfectly acceptable for offset printing, however totally unacceptable for sign making.

So maybe Adobe do not regard this as a bug.

Also there appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it does multiple traces around parts of an illustration only.

Also i noticed that some parts of traces with more than one object are "Combined" instead of "grouped".

Now Illustrator does not have a Combine command so i find this interesting.

Illustrator only has a group command and i personally find this a terrible limitation.

Perhaps they are playing with this and intend to introduce it in the next version.

Also our programmers have noticed that in CS3 Postscript that there are new commands that are not yet supported in the current Illustrator.  These are supported in SignBlazer and have been for some years.

Summary -- Perhaps best not to use Illustrator for tracing bitmaps if you want to cut vinyl from the resultant vectors.

Trust this helps

Jerry from SignBlazer.

honda file.EPS

Honda file.SBD

honda file.EPS

Honda file.SBD

Hello,

I had some spare time this morning, and did these short videos for you. The first one shows how to repair your logo quickly in Illustrator.

The steps taken was these:

1. Select all

2. Ungroup

3. Ungroup again

3. Select everything above the text and delete

4. Select an innerobject and delete, repeat for all innerobjects.

Finished.  :huh:

Here is a video for that operation:

http://www.sc-x2.com/files/mov/quickflash/wwwhondaklubben.swf

Here is another short video showing how to combine objects in illustrator.

http://www.sc-x2.com/files/mov/quickflash/combineinillustrator.swf

I did the same thing earlier on,  it is usually a result of copying and then not moving the copied image and then you have two layers. boy was i frustrated, now i will some times use the manipulation tool to arc a line to see if there is anything under it, and then just undo undo to return it to original state, if there is no image under.  if you have done this, bite the bullet and erase your image, start over you will save a pile of time, instead of trying to move every line to erase hidden lines, arc and others

Just a quick note. The Sign Blazer Elements demo does not expire after 30 days. It is a fully functional version. You just have to click the "demo" choice every time you start it.

Charlie

Also I have noticed that in illustrator, when a text is made to outline and then manipulated = path/ offset path, you now have TWO items, these must be ungrouped and separated.

IF the object is manipulated several times, there will be several copies of it exactly on top of each other.

if you copy / paste / and change color, the new item is over or behind the original, but a new color, that helps keep track of each, you can group by color and move them, and so on.

by experience I have learned to separate them as part of the process, and double check things Before calling it "cut ready"

;D