horse power graphic

Fed Ex dropped the ball

I was waiting yesterday for my roll of vinyl to show up that was on the truck for delivery. 6pm came around and still no package. I called and was told it was dropped off at a different address. How do you drop something off at a house number that was 25 and mine is 17 and a different road all together. After 3 or 4 phone calls thay finley gave me the address it was droped at and loveley bad part of town for any one at night. I tried to go get it and no one home. Fed Ex knew at noon it was dropped wrong and didnt call me or try to get it taken care of. I have a install at 8 am today i need that for and now i have to call the client and tell him i cant do it. I am so pissed its not even funny. Any one else out there have problems with fedex.

i would call whoever you ordered it from and let them know..and request NO FEDEX deliveries or take your business elsewhere...

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen a few years ago....tracking showed it delivered but it wasn't here. I called the shipper. 15 minutes later my phone rang. It was FedEx. The driver had left it at the wrong address. The driver was at my house with the package within 30 minutes. I guess calling the shipper made the difference.

In your case, I would have told FedEx I wasn't about to do their job for them and go get my own package that THEY left at the wrong address. Raise a lot of hell.

• Like 2

I haven't ever experienced that (knock on wood) but I do worry about it every time I order anything from anywhere who delivered DHL I had a few deliveries from them that came after hours. Luckily normally when I see something is on he truck for that day I will stay later then normal. Luckily everything I get now comes UPS and they usually deliver by 10 AM to my business.

Finley got the package no knock at door saying sorry just ran down the road dropped it on the steps and ran back up to his truck. I guess he wasnt enough of a man that he couldnt say sorry I messed up. I lost the job becouse he needed it done now. Now that lost me 400 bucks that was a easy install and i have all the other vinyl cut and ready. So im out a roll of 751 and he will tell others that i dropped the ball. Word of mouth is great if every thing works out but bad in other times. I need a drink and its not even noon!

I would call the supplier you ordered from and inform them and I would call FED EX everyday and express my disgust in them. The driver should be punished and you should be reimbursed for money out of pocket to cut what you already had cut. I hate when Fed Ex leaves packages on my steps without knocking. They do it all the time I order alot of stuff and have it shipped at home and to have packages sit outside all day on the porch drives me insane.

I would call the supplier you ordered from and inform them and I would call FED EX everyday and express my disgust in them. The driver should be punished and you should be reimbursed for money out of pocket to cut what you already had cut. I hate when Fed Ex leaves packages on my steps without knocking. They do it all the time I order alot of stuff and have it shipped at home and to have packages sit outside all day on the porch drives me insane.

I hate it when they won't leave the package if I'm not there. You can never make everyone happy. It comes down to giviing yourself enough time to get your supplies and not making promises to customers for things that are out of your control. If you paid for next day air and it didn't arrive next day you may be able to get money back on shipping but that's all FedEx or any shipping company is responsible for.

Jay is right. NEVER cut it so close that anything like this can lose you a job.

Just a thought...unless the customer had someone else standing by and waiting to do the job, I can't see how a few hours or even a day would make you lose the job.

I agree with Jay & John . It is fun when things come together at the last second/minute .. but bad to count on that as it can't work out all the time . It is best to leave some time for things descibed in " Murphy's law " .. the funniest part of that is when it states " Murphy was an optimist " .. I wonder what a pessimist's view would be ?

I agree with Jay, Roger, and Banner John. The old factory I worked at had a program in place to keep inventory down.. A program from Toyota I believe. JIT, which stands for JUST IN TIME. Or lean manufacturing. But from working at this factory for 30 years, it was a program us factory employees would call.

ALWAYS TOO LATE!!!! We couldn't work if we didn't the parts to assemble.. And that happened many times.

Our process was 2 day of of inventory..

http://en.wikipedia...._%28business%29

Skeeter, we practice Lean and Just In Time where I work too. (still haven't perfected it either.) We have learned to leave enough safety stock so we don't run out due to unforseen circumstances.

I'm not saying that Fed Ex should be held responsible if they are a day late but they should be held responsible if their driver dropped the package off on the wrong street and the wrong numbers. I could see if it was the same number on a different street maybe.........

That is what i told the mang. today. I expressed that when it said on truck for delivery and the weather was good I should of got it and not had to deal with all the B.S. I agree with giving a gap for time but it said on truck for delivery. Once it said that I called the cust. and said I would be there in the morning. Im still dealing with fedex sence the driver is a contract driver and owns the route. Whats funny is the mang. can yell at him but thats it. Sence he F**k** up he can just say o well and still have a job in the morning but im out of a job that paid well. I got call in to the cust to see if he got it done all ready and he hasnt got back to me. Im trying to get fedex to pay for the job sence the driver left it less than 1/2 mile from my house and he drops stuff here all the time so he knows me and my wifes name and Company name. Well see what happens once I hear back from the mang. today.

Skeeter, we practice Lean and Just In Time where I work too. (still haven't perfected it either.) We have learned to leave enough safety stock so we don't run out due to unforseen circumstances.

sorry if hijacking, but it is crucial for a business.

I hear ya there Jay, but too late on my company, we would try things like that too, then get in skids and skids of inferior product parts, which would shut down our lines also..,,Several times we had to change vendors, because we couldn't rely on getting quality parts and being there on time. Factory closed and moved to Mexico in Jan 2006. Business had been there since 1958, We made washing machine timers, for Whirlpool, GE, and other big names. I can remember when we would produce over 125,000 machine timers a week, EVERY week, and I just could never imagine that many washing machines being sold.. Plus on top of making replacement timers for dealers. For a small town like mine it was a very good job and 5 minutes to work.. Employed 350..

i would call whoever you ordered it from and let them know..and request NO FEDEX deliveries or take your business elsewhere...

Why would that be the suppliers fault in any way it was shipped they have no control over the shipping companys and let's face it they all have some dumb ass working for them. I never assume that any material will be delivered as stated I always give a starting /finishing date continent on the avaliability of materials. Also I usaly order material way before it is needed unless it is a special order.

• Like 1

sorry if hijacking, but it is crucial for a business.

I hear ya there Jay, but too late on my company, we would try things like that too, then get in skids and skids of inferior product parts, which would shut down our lines also..,,Several times we had to change vendors, because we couldn't rely on getting quality parts and being there on time. Factory closed and moved to Mexico in Jan 2006. Business had been there since 1958, We made washing machine timers, for Whirlpool, GE, and other big names. I can remember when we would produce over 125,000 machine timers a week, EVERY week, and I just could never imagine that many washing machines being sold.. Plus on top of making replacement timers for dealers. For a small town like mine it was a very good job and 5 minutes to work.. Employed 350..

We build aircraft parts. Our customers expect lower cost products every year. We opened a small plant in Mexico and started shipping some work there. So far just a small percentage.

Let me see if I understand this. FedEx misdelivered your one package causing delay of aprox 24 hours and in your opinion they should be required to take diciplinary action against the driver responsible at the least if not willing to fully compensate you for potential loss. Yet, you in turn errored with timeline misjudgement prior to having the raw material in hand, by prematurely giving the client a firm commitment for finished product delivery and everyone but yourself in this blunder is to blame? Is this how you presented it to the potential client?

• Like 3

LOL if you have "safety stock " you are no longer using lean. You are just close to using lean. And yes I have worked in mfg. all my adult life; since before lean was invented. ;D