Sign in to follow this  
fokkerdmr

Cutter rise

I have an MH721-MK2. Loving it!

But, the cutter blade slowly creeps up out of the holder as the cutting goes on. I know that I can tighten the cutter holder, but being plastic, it just seems like it's a relatively fragile part of the setup. I don't want to tighten it so far that I snap it.

So, is the wisdom of the experts to just tighten it down, and it really won't break? Or, is there some little bracket that can be slipped over the blade holder and clamp to ensure it doesn't creep up? Any other "tricks of the trade" ?

Thanks in advance..

Dave

Obviously just tighten it so it doesn't creep up... That's what it's there for !!

Don't tighten it that much that you can't undo it again.... Just so it's firmish to keep it in place.

How were your cuts... They must of been all over the place ??

Actually the cuts have been fine. I typically keep tightening it down until it stops creeping up, and if it does creep a little, I take the cutter offline, push it down and then put it back online to keep cutting. It's not at all like the cutter is loose, it's in there tight, just not tight enough I guess.

Finally the arm broke. The problem is that the arm was tight - but the cutter kept creeping up. I'd tighten it just a hair more to keep it from creeping, but eventually, the arm broke. We 3-D printed a new arm that has a slot in it to hold the pen in place, rather than simply relying on friction to hold it down. Seeing as USCutter is out of stock on the replacement arms, I wonder how many people would be interested in a replacement arm that holds the pen captive vertically without requiring so much pressure?

If I have problems after 4 months of "hobby" use, I have to believe I'm not alone in this problem.

Dave

While never having had this issue with my MH871, it would seem that putting a wrap-around or two of electrical tape onto the barrel of that blade holder would suffice to add some density to the unit's diameter, and offer some friction to prevent 'rise' and the clamp wouldn't need so much tightening to hold it firmly in place.

I have an MH721-MK2. Loving it!

But, the cutter blade slowly creeps up out of the holder as the cutting goes on. I know that I can tighten the cutter holder, but being plastic, it just seems like it's a relatively fragile part of the setup. I don't want to tighten it so far that I snap it.

So, is the wisdom of the experts to just tighten it down, and it really won't break? Or, is there some little bracket that can be slipped over the blade holder and clamp to ensure it doesn't creep up? Any other "tricks of the trade" ?

Thanks in advance..

Dave

I have broke 3 of them so far.. :( i had the same problem!

Finally the arm broke. The problem is that the arm was tight - but the cutter kept creeping up. I'd tighten it just a hair more to keep it from creeping, but eventually, the arm broke. We 3-D printed a new arm that has a slot in it to hold the pen in place, rather than simply relying on friction to hold it down. Seeing as USCutter is out of stock on the replacement arms, I wonder how many people would be interested in a replacement arm that holds the pen captive vertically without requiring so much pressure?

If I have problems after 4 months of "hobby" use, I have to believe I'm not alone in this problem.

Dave

I have 2 MH 721's can i order 2 of them.. how much ?

email me

calvin@twincitiesgraphix.com

We did a production run of replacement arms this week. They are in stock, ready to ship for anyone else having the problem. Using these arms, I have improved the overall cutting performance, not just eliminated the cutter holder creep that used to happen. You can e-mail me at m51@msn.com for more info and photos.

Dave