Sign in to follow this  
TheManThePete

MH365 head rollers off the track / rails, can't get back on. Tips? Help?

Just as the title says. My MH365 has the head off the rails/track. It was like that when I got it, and I can't for the life of me get it back on. It just seems like it's too tight to get over the 2nd rail, once one side is in the right spot. I tried taking some exterior panels off, but that didn't help too much. I really don't want to take this whole thing apart just to get the head back in its proper place. After all, if it came out easily enough (perhaps in shipping) then it should go back in with some finesse. I just can't seem to figure out the trick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pics, if needed, just ask.

My cutter head jumped the track once (it was cutting, and tracked over the far edge of the vinyl, then as it tried to return, it caught/jammed on the edge of the vinyl and that caused it to derail)

Anyway, I hit it with a rubber mallet and that popped it right back on (using some minor force).

YMMV.

I tried forcing it with the mallet, and it wasn't even close to getting back on, so I had to disassemble the head a bit, to access the key to fixing it. Here's a quick How-to for anyone searching this topic, since I did that myself and found no real good answers.

Take the side access panel, the one that doesn't have the red button attached to the wall. Once that's off, you can access the belt tensioner, loosen the screw, to give slack in the belt. The belt with slip off, the shouldered posts, under the head. Now you can turn the head upside down and see the arm/spring that gives tension to the single roller. Now it should be apparent if you need to loosen the nut on the backside of the roller, so it can move. Now get small set of channel locks, and use the nut on the backside of the roller and pinch it to the long gold nut/tower that holds the head cover up, and you can get the roller to move down, and give you enough room to get it back on the track, before springing back into tention. Tighten the nut back up on the backside of the roller, slip your belt ends back onto their hidden posts (this is kinda tedious, a pair or 90* pliers worked great for me) then while holding tension, re-tighten the long nut on the belt tensioner, until it's back to the original tightness. Then just put your side cover back on, and you're good to go. You may have to lossen the top cover that has the control panel on it, to get more working room with the head. I did that step first while I was trying to figure out how I was gonna fix it, so I'm not 100% sure that you NEED it off, or that it just makes it easier to work in there.

I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

Next time this happens, I'm gonna follow THOSE instructions, and not smash it with a hammer!

All you have to do is insert the top rollers on the head into the top track ( their are spring loaded) push up and in on the head and the bottom rollers should go into to the bottom track.

Bigmac

Oh ok, so basically insert the spring loaded side in FIRST! That sounds much easier! hahaha.... The way I did it, is how someone with an Engineering degree or Aspergers would do it. Your way is the way I should have done it.