The comparison guide says th MH series can only do a maximum cut length of 8 inches? I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the subject except one guy saying he was having problems with long cuts over 24 inches, which seems to contradict the comparison sheet...

That is a statement which is accurate by what you stated ( I have never read the comparison guide ) ... is there a question you have in mind ? The comparison guide seems to be VERY modest which makes sense . Extremely E-Z to do that specification , where saying a well knowledged & experienced operator " could " cut 10' decals would have newbies frustrated with the cutter itself instead of putting the problem where it actually is .... an entry level cutter used by someone with little if any experience/knowledge about vinyl cutting . Entry/hobby type cutters are definitely not as accrurate as the top of the line cutters with everything in between a step up . The person using the cutter has a huge input on tracking . Knowing how to align the vinly & adjust the cutter itself is critical in any cutter . If you are using 23" out of a 24" roll of vinyl , tracking is much more critical than using 20" ... ESPECIALLY on longer runs . I have never had a MH cutter , but John ( BannerJohn ) & many on here do anything they want with them . On small decals , I have used 23 1/2" on a 24" roll with a Copam .

I have a vinyl express R series 31" machine ((which bothers me because it will only fut up to 27".) and I am in no means advertising for the VE machines.) I have cut words at 23.8' tall on a 24" roll at 10 and 12' long. It takes some work to get it to track right and the key is to run the material through the full length as you are planning to cut prior to the cut and make the proper adjustments. The nicer machines cut larger and more accurately with less preparation and time involved however with the "entry level" machines you can do most anything the higher end model will do but there is more time involved as each machine will act differently with different cuts. There are alot of variables to take into account also. Roll size as in the length (10 yard roll as a 60 yard roll) the heavier 60 yard roll will cause a "skip" in the material once it pulls from the roll. You have to take into account how long it will take to recoup your costs and how much and how often you will be cutting.... If I trailed off the topic I apologize but the OP seemed a little undirective.