Sign in to follow this  
horse power graphic

need help thinking out of the box

I am looking at the design jet 130r from HP i know its not a solvent printer but is there a way to laminate a printable vinyl and keep the uv resistance. Is there a vinyl out there that can be printed on by inkjet printers that i can use for small wraps on race quads and dirt bikes. I also work with go-carts and would love to do some more then cut vinyl. With the race bikes and carts i am redoing the vinyl every other week or two any ways. Any help would be great. I cant afford a big printer right now just trying to open more possibilities. Not looking for long term wraps just for racing. What vinyl do i look for and what laminate. Thanks in advance.

Greg

The 130r is a good machine no dought but I would save your money and get a versacamm for your type of application. My wifes friend has a 130r and does crafts type stuff and posters. AND, I make her signs...Really tho, I have taken this route in the past and it's just not worth it IMO. There are folks here that can print for you while you save $$ to do your own. Just my 2 cents of advice to a fellow sign guy.

For wraps I use Oracal 3951 with 290 or 293 Oragaurd laminate. Also,...keep in mind that certain inks arn't suitable for wraps.. not just cause of UV but when you wrap, stretching of the vinyl can distort the colors or "thin the colors out" unlike solvent inks laminated or not! Solvent printers heat up, opening up the poors in the vinyl allowing the ink to penitraite into the vinyl therefor the ink has more body in the vinyl not loosing or distorting the colors while you wrap. Don't forget that pretty much most media available is only ink receptive with certain inks!

I have only two customers that race cars and every few months they need more decals. For this I use Oracal 651 calendared or 751 cast vinyl. I print on both but for helmets, "I've only done a couple" I used Oracal 3951. For off road, like bikes and quads, I use Oracal 3105 HT. @$0.50 cents a sqft works good! 3951HT does to but it's a $1.25 per sqft.

If your looking for the top of the line, Go with MotoMark by general formulations. It's a $1.08 per sqft and the overlaminate is a $1.60 per sqft but well worth it!

Anthoo, keep saving! If you need stuff printed up, ASK! I'm sure peeps here can help :)

costs on ink jets 10 times the cost of sol material..I have a inkjet and a sol printer..100% coverage on the inkjets $3.25 per sq foot..on the sol it's .61....see the difference???

I use a sales gal from a major supplier..PM me if you want her number..she hooked me up on a package deal..printer, cold lam, and cutter a lil over a year ago..

The costs way too high to do the inkjet thing and make money..I agree save your money to buy a sol printer...Right nows the time to call the sale people of which ever company you want to use..They are making deals do to them gearing upp for the big show in Vegas..Thats what I did..I bought 40k of equipment at such a deal I couldn't pass up and they threw Flexi Pro in for free..WORTH the call...They can't take away your birthday..LOL...

DON'T buy the inkjet you will not be happy and have to purchase a sol later due to the cost..If you need stuff printed hollar I do stuff for others here on the forum all the time...

Thanks

stetson5331