Sign in to follow this  
Jegz55

MH 871 not playing nice w/ my computer

Hey everyone, pleasure to be here. I recently purchased the MH871-mk2 US cutter.

Im trying to start my own small print shop so I'm still kind of new to this but i do have experience in networking and computers in general. How ever I'm having some issue with my machine.

I have the cutter set up and everything, did a test cut and it worked PERFECT!

So installed the recommended driver from US cutter and my laptop recognizes it as a printer and everything in "printer & devices"

(BTW I'm using windows 7 64bit - connected via USB)

I installed 3 different free versions of printing software trying to get it to work but nothing. When I hit print to US cutter it either does nothing or freezes the software so it crashes. I don't understand.

Please someone lend me a hand and help me resolve this.

-Jegz55

I am using Signcut, but I'm saying I tried 2 other 3rd party programs to try to get it working but had no success.

I just went through that tutorial and rechecked everything but still nothing.

right now I hit print and Ill just either get an error with no information or a message

so I'm not sure what to do..

Are you trying to cut vinyl? Or are you trying to print??

Your vinyl cutter is not a printer.. and doesn't setup like a printer.. .

Which 3rd Party cutting software programs did you try??

Don't you have something like FILE/ CUT OUT in Signcut?

Most Cutting software programs are File>CUT or FILE> CUT /PLOT

I tried CoCut and inkskape.

yeh that's what I click on "cut out" it makes the action and no errors come up and yet the cutter sits there motionless.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :-/

inkscape.org is not cutting software...needs to install plugin to use with Signcut..

http://www.signcutpr...rt-plugins.html

CoCut looks like a cutting program and Needs either Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, and the necessary export plugins. Are you using Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator?

From COCUT site..

CoCut is a plug-in for CorelDRAW and Illustrator. It empowers both programs with powerful cutting functions, so that no additional program is needed for cutting. In conjunction with the elaborated host programs CoCut cuts your designs at the touch of a button.

CoCut's advanced vinyl production features control your plotter speed, precision and knife-pressure on-the-fly. Cut by color, cut selected objects only, cut multiple copies are further features of this unique plug-in, which now can be used without host program as well.

Your com ports # in device manager should match the com port# in your cutting software.

Have you tried Signblazer? Can be downloaded here on the forum under Signblazer thread...It is FREE, Is both design software and cutting software. Many on the forum use it...

I used adobe illustrator cs5 but then when i used signblazer it couldn't read it because it needed to be an "older" version of illustrator. So now I'm torrenting CS3 to edit it all and try again.

I'm gonna try to go over everything again tonight when i have cs3 and everything double checked on the computer end of this.

When you plug the cutter in to the computer via USB, it will be assigned a COM port #. Once you find which COM port # is assigned to the connection, you simply select that COM port # in the cutter setup of SignBlazer.

It is not a printer as someone mentioned above, so it should never show up under Printers/ Devices using a driver. The cutting software itself has the cutter drivers, so just select the correct model in SB, and the correct COM port #, and you should be good to go.

Also, you should be able to save your CS5 .ai files to an older version, without having to switch back to the actual older version of the software.

Good luck

I finally got it working! thanks for the help. I changed all my files to .eps and made sure the cutter was being recognized by my comp and it cut.