rawtgraphics

Sand blast and vinyl...

Is vinyl sand blast proof? I recently got a client that wanted me to design a logo that he can sand blast and now he wants a few hundred stencils cut but, I have noticed the material is very hard to find and very expensive! Also found some that was 3mil on ebay. It says that it's vinyl material so I am wondering if I can take some of the more rubber texture vinyl and use it as sand blast stencil?

I have successsfully used vinyl to mask for media blasting (aluminium oxide) on glass and metal surfaces with reduced pressures; however this process is very temperature sensitive and unless your air source and cabinet are at indoor temps, it is more prone to lift a vinyl edge.

I have watched http://rayzist.com/ sandblast 1/2" deep into glass at a sign show using material that seened less durable than Oracal 651 ( what i use with great results ) . They dont stay on the edge of the vinyl very long at all .. they come close enough to make sure it gets the etched effect . There is enough abrasion keeping the center of the blast 1/2" away . I like blasting with about 30 psi .

Depends on what substrate you are blasting on and how deep you wish to blast, but most sign vinyl will work for basic sandblasting. Some basic points to keep in mind are to start with a clean substrate, both vinyl and substrate should be at room temperature, keep nozzle 3 - 4 inches from vinyl, do not stay in one spot long enough to allow heat to build up (desired depth should be achieved with several passes over the blast area), blast at a 90 degree angle to keep from lifting the stencil edge and if using a pressure pot about 30 psi. There are definite advantages to using sandblast vinyl for many projects, but for the basics sign vinyl will do just fine.

Depends on what substrate you are blasting on and how deep you wish to blast, but most sign vinyl will work for basic sandblasting. Some basic points to keep in mind are to start with a clean substrate, both vinyl and substrate should be at room temperature, keep nozzle 3 - 4 inches from vinyl, do not stay in one spot long enough to allow heat to build up (desired depth should be achieved with several passes over the blast area), blast at a 90 degree angle to keep from lifting the stencil edge and if using a pressure pot about 30 psi. There are definite advantages to using sandblast vinyl for many projects, but for the basics sign vinyl will do just fine.

It's just a basic logo on a piece of thin glass.

I have watched http://rayzist.com/ sandblast 1/2" deep into glass at a sign show using material that seened less durable than Oracal 651 ( what i use with great results ) . They dont stay on the edge of the vinyl very long at all .. they come close enough to make sure it gets the etched effect . There is enough abrasion keeping the center of the blast 1/2" away . I like blasting with about 30 psi .

Awesome! This guy is just doing a simple logo but I didn't want to put all the money down on sand blast mask for something so simple. When I first bought my cutter I was not knowledgable of vinyl and such and bought some junk vinyl from ebay saying it had a outdoor life of 1 year, the stuff lasted about 2 months haha! (Good to practice with) but I still have about 80 feet of it and no use for it so, I am going to try it and see what he says but I will have him use it on junk glass just to make sure.

I have successsfully used vinyl to mask for media blasting (aluminium oxide) on glass and metal surfaces with reduced pressures; however this process is very temperature sensitive and unless your air source and cabinet are at indoor temps, it is more prone to lift a vinyl edge.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind and let the customer know.

It has over 19,000 registered users & many guests , but I think you mean more active :) . That comes & goes .. depends on how busy members are & how repetitious the questions are . When there is some fun & humor , members are more active it seems .

• Like 1

It has over 19,000 registered users & many guests , but I think you mean more active :) . That comes & goes .. depends on how busy members are & how repetitious the questions are . When there is some fun & humor , members are more active it seems .

Haha! That's exactly what I meant. I needed more coffee this morning.