Hummer

Layed off...now I have to make money!

Hello all,

As of last Friday, I am now officially laid off! One days notice, which really sucked. I was playing with this plotter part time as a hobby, now I have to some how make it pay.

As my name suggests, I own a Hummer H2 and I am thinking about tricking it out a bit, hopefully for 'advertising'. My first thought was to cut "I didn't have to give a Hummer to get a Hummer" for the back window, but my husband freaked out! Can't imagine why. He claims that he couldn't drive it with this saying on it. I think he forgets that this is MY truck not his...well anyway, does anyone have any ideas that would make this truck stand out without making it looking cheap. It needs to be tough.

I think that I am going to need this forums help in the very near future often. I will try not to be a pain, but I really need to get income into this household.

Thanks for letting me vent and any suggestions regarding the Hummer would be greatly appreciated.

The humorous side of me immediately thought of the opposite of your saying ... though your husband might even be more opposed to that :huh:? :)

• Like 1

Never really thought of reversing that saying...you made me and he smile! Thanks

Can you post a picture of your hummer as some inspiration? There are so many things that can be done with vinyl.

Never really thought of reversing that saying...you made me and he smile! Thanks

It made me chuckle also :)

I will definately post a picture of my beast. I'll have to take one tomorrow, after I clear a ton of snow off of it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Since all of this went down, I am a little scattered in many directions. Thanks to all in advance. Talk with you soon...

I really haven't forgotten to take a photo of my beast, but the weather here isn't co-operating.

Today I went to open my rear passengers door and the whole assembly came off in my hand. Then I went to the other side and it did the SAME thing!!! Apparently this happens quite often. Now off to the dealership to order two new handles! Just what I needed.

Can you tell that I need a life!?!?!?

I really haven't forgotten to take a photo of my beast, but the weather here isn't co-operating.

Today I went to open my rear passengers door and the whole assembly came off in my hand. Then I went to the other side and it did the SAME thing!!! Apparently this happens quite often. Now off to the dealership to order two new handles! Just what I needed.

Can you tell that I need a life!?!?!?

I think...... I think you need a good Hummer ;)

It's a good stress reliever!

This may have to be moved into the mature audience section if this humor goes further :) ... but .... " the whole assembly came off in my hand. Then I went to the other side and it did the SAME thing!!! Apparently this happens quite often." ..... sounds intense IMO ... Sounds like the Hummer is geting it's doors almost blown off ... ya seen a green Dodge with a hummin cummins wiz past ya ? :)

Cute, people, really cute...didn't think that I was being obscene...all in the eye of the beholder, right? Dirty, dirty minds...hahaha

• Like 1

Some humor is good ; )

Cute, people, really cute...didn't think that I was being obscene...all in the eye of the beholder, right? Dirty, dirty minds...hahaha

Dirty Minds > > :D

This is a cool band do check out their other stuff.

• Like 1

Finally...received the door handle assemblies. Now to get the ol'man to install them. I will clean the truck...has to look perty and take some snaps. Again, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dirty Minds > > :D

This is a cool band do check out their other stuff.

Thanks for the video :thumbsup: It was amusing for a bit , but got old very fast : I have a strange taste in music according to many of my friends ... I think they would put you in the same group :) . That is hilarious IMO :) .

You would be even more convinced if you knew where i wanted to add a " r " in post # 6 .... It would make it STAND out , but I am not sure about how tough it would make it ... :)

• Like 1

I really haven't forgotten to post a photo, but like everything else it takes time...I just finished a 'logo' for my business. Will post this also to get some constructive criticism...thanks to all

O.K., O.K. The first post was in January, now it is April...talk about procrastination, eh? Any how, here is a photo of my beast. Not the best pic, my kid took it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might 'trick' this thing out with vinyl? I have the Hummer font, but I not sure where to place it. Any graphic ideas? Please nothing cutesy, I would like tough...

Thank you all for any input...

post-17230-0-92018400-1333381048.jpg

Not sure I even understand what you're trying to accomplish.

You have a large vehicle that stands out as unique and is obnoxious to many people anyway, and you want to decorate it to call MORE attention to a gas-guzzling truck that is the complete opposite of "green" in today's $4-a-gallon nightmare?

I don't even see how you can be driving that thing, considering you're unemployed and have limited funds.

{{ For the record, I own a CHEVY Astro van, which is probably just as horrendous in gas consumption !@#%* }}

That being said, please explain what your goal is regarding the H2. How do you envision it as being part of your vinyl-cutting operation? Do you want to just add decorative embellishments, or utilize it as a rolling "billboard" ?

Wow, I never expected to get a response like this, I'm really taken back. It was never my intention to offend anyone in this forum by posting a photo of my vehicle. This is and will continue to be my 'work' truck. I was just looking to pick the brains of this forum to give me some ideas on how I could utilize this vehicle, in part, to showcase some of my vinyl work. Yes, sort of a rolling 'billboard'. I do not want a full wrap.

I would like to address your statements about this vehicle being obnoxious and a gas guzzler. As far as being obnoxious, every one is entitled to their own opinion. My vehicle prior to this was a V6 Ford Explorer and on its best days, it got about 22 miles per gallon, considerable less as it aged. The H2 gets 19 plus miles to the gallon and because of where I live (the great white north), our road conditions etc. I have found this vehicle to be safe, reliable and, cost effective.

I am really sort of ashamed of myself for feeling compelled to justify owning and keeping this vehicle. Yes, I am unemployed and yes I do have very limited funds, unfortunately like many others in this day and age. But I will keep plugging away on my cutter and hopefully one day I will have enough knowledge and skills to make enough money to supplement my family income, which I assume is the goal of many of us in this forum.

Again, my sincerest apologies to everyone if I have in any way offended you. It was never my intention...

Hey, I'm not personally offended. Look, as I said, my ASTRO van is no 'green machine' either, for sure!

But haven't you noticed that on the roads, they attract the 'evil eyes' of people who think you're nuts? It's sorta like wearing FURS these days. Darn environmentalists and tree-huggers and vegans. :angel:

Oh yeah, you must realize WHY the Hummer is a rolling insult to millions of people who think it is a vulgar display of contempt for our planet's environment, and it's very clear why they went the way of the dodo bird (BTW, so did the Astro vans, no longer in production, but I love mine, and it's a great truck for a sign guy).

So, to sum this up, we both own practical trucks, and are comfortable driving them, and who the hell cares if we're spending $100 to fill it up!!! (Yep, I know how THAT feels, ouch) :-\

Anyway, this is all a side-track to the topic, and let's get back to that, OK?

Here's what I would suggest --- FANTASY THEME HUMMER.

Take a look:

http://www.clipartan.../fantasyWEB.pdf

My reccommendation would be to start simple... come up with a whitty or fun "company" or personal "home business" name.... Put that, and a phone number somewhere- windows, doors, back window etc- I know, cliche right? But people HAVE to know how to get a hold of you.

I actually sold magazine sales people decals this way in a walmart parking lot!!!! Go figure.

Second, put some uniquely custom graphics on it someplace- Your back and tail side windows are great for this as their typically useless anyways especially when you have terrible blindspots built in.... also utilize the space above the "AS1" Line on the top of your windshield. Look for it... its a little tick mark on one of the sides at the top of your windshield. Staying above this line typically keeps it legal in most states!

Lastly, make sure you list the things you do someplace with your phone number- Ie. Cut Vinyl Graphics, Banners etc... Wall Art and whatnot.

You want to draw attention to yourself, and have it be tasteful yet not overbearing. Also be careful as putting information like your business on your vehicle can come with insurance obligations as well (ie, someone hits you, sues you etc.)

Thank you for all of your suggestions vinylmotivations! This weekend, I plan on playing with some lettering & graphics. I plan on making most of it out of flat black background and silver overlay. What do you think?

Where did you vanish to? We were hoping to see some of the results posted here.

Yep, I'm curious to know how you turned that "blank canvas" into something cool.

I haven't vanished, I am still here. I did cut 'Hummer' out of black vinyl (background) and chrome vinyl overlay. It is still sitting in my shop. After reading the posts about chrome vinyl, I am hesitant to apply it, as I have read that the chrome vinyl fades really fast. I am still working on a logo and then it will be applied to the truck. I am in the process of purchasing some new equipment and trying to set up my shop/room. Building storage for my vinyls etc. I will post pictures when I get some vinyl applied.

Course when it fades you can "hire your vinyl cutter person" to make you a NEW one...lol. You do need to talk to your insurance company though. Mine told me if my truck was used for business purposes that they would not insure it and I would have to get comercial insurance for it. So I am using custom graphics to call attention to it and when they ask who did it I give them my business card :rolleyes: