slice&dice

Just opened a small store -- plenty of sign jobs arriving through the front door

Hi derrick, I'm glad that you've been inspired to open a store (and also Jim in Vancouver).

These days, it's not easy finding cheap (smaller) spaces to rent, as most locations are in strip-malls and are priced very high.

You just have to be creative and find a spot that may be useless for most retail operations, but would work perfectly as a studio/workshop. That's exactly what I did, taking over a garage that was not situated within a built-up business district, but still has lots of traffic passing by. Because of my out-of-the-way spot, I stick out like a sore thumb and the place is VERY visible and recognizable as a sign making store. Plus, I have a parking lot, for easy in easy out.

So, here we are, as April is half over, and the people keep coming in for me to do their work --

REIKI practice

Funeral Home

Garden Center

Landscaper/Mulch supplier

Asphalt repair contractor

Veterinarian

Barber

and on and on...

My MH871 is doing it all.

Congratulations on your success!

What are the plastic holder for the application tape rolls. you mentioned in the first post?

And where are you getting your -- coroplast sign blanks (in bulk w/stakes 100/case)?

What did you end up putting on your front window?

post more pictures if you have time.

Thanks for for the info!

Mary Ann

Looks like you've got a good thing going. I'm running out of my basement.... not too many people come wandering in there that's for sure. Everything I do is just word of mouth. I wish I could just quit my current job and go into this 100%, but it's too risky. For now I'll just stick to my handful of customers each month and continue my juggling act. It's tough working this around a 12 hour swing shift, but since I feel like I'm still in the learning process it's okay for now.

Good luck! Keep us updated on how things are going.

I sure don't think I would be doing this at all if I hadn't been laid-off (then hired by another company, then let go from there, too)

The very idea of running a storefront has a high element of risk, and trust me, when I signed that lease, it was not without the feeling of "Oh Sh*t, now what have I gotten myself into?!!"

And to do it with the lowest-priced "budget" MH machine in the market, how crazy is THAT???

(I still don't have a backup machine) Some days I open the store, thinking, "Is today the day my 'parachute' fails to open?")

MaryAnn --- The plastic Transfer-Tape dispenser is brand-name "Tape Owner" and there was a brief discussion about it (and other types) on these Forums

http://forum.uscutte...-tape-dispenser

Do a search on EBay for "tape owner" and you'll find it available for $30.

You must clamp it down to the table, using a gizmo called bar-clamps (not included -- I got mine at a local close-out discounts place)

67800546.jpg

Regarding my front window at the store, I never came up with a good idea of what to put on it, so it's still a blank slate.

If you have anything in mind, please share.

USCutter offers cases of coro. at a fair price, and I highly recommend using Spider-Stakes instead of those wire things.

http://www.uscutter....ated-Plastic-65

Basically, they cost under $2 and I'm charging $18.50 per sign (that's less than VistaPrint offers them for).

The 'bandit signs" market is absolutely overflowing with cheapo online sources, including printed/silk screened in bulk quantities for around five bucks (or less).

Honestly, I try to avoid getting into that war.

You want another picture? No problemo, here ya go.

Here's the van I just completed ------- simple, easy, effective, and $350.

post-21408-0-84610300-1334450756.jpg

Thanks for the info, I work from my basement and most of my sales are wall vinyl through my website ( www.putthewritingonthewall.com ). but would like to get more local jobs like vans and store front advertising. The "Yard Sale" signs are a great Idea!

Thanks Again!

Mary Ann

Cinco de Mayo already? My, my, how time flies when you're having fun !

OK, just my luck, cutter went kaput yesterday (my fault, actually, I dropped a roll of vinyl onto the blue USB cord, and it destroyed the USB socket connection, literally breaking the pins away from the circuit board) --

Not a major thing, US CUTTER sells a replacement board for fifty bucks, which I've requested, and since I'm already ordering, I added an SC-model cutter to be shipped, too. Never hurts to have a backup, and as I said earlier in this thread, I planned on getting one anyway.

Here are a few notes from the past month -----

1. Having a 34" machine is unquestionably worthwhile, and I am constantly producing jobs that require the 30" vinyl width (by the way, along with my SC cutter, I chose the option of ordering a 10-roll selection of 30"x10-yards Oracal, which by my calculations, will generate sales that will cover the cost for the SC machine many times over)

2. I've been making a lot of the 19"x48" coroplast signs (with 2 step-stakes) and the customers love them (instead of the 18x24 regular bandit signs). If you have never tried offering that extended size to your clients, I highly recommend making a sample and seeing their reaction when they discover the DOUBLE-WIDE impact of that product.

You'll obtain 5 strips of 19" from 4x8 sheets.

3. A comment about business cards: Never go anywhere without them.

I was shopping in a local warehouse club, happened to strike up a conversation with a guy, turns out he needed signs, I gave him my card & a few days later the job was mine. Charge for work -- $1400.

Cost of business cards -- ZERO. (bizcard.com)

and so it goes...