cannuck

addicted to trademarked logos

i have a motorcycle and am adding to the graphics and just making up whatever and dressing it up. now i find that it may be illegal to put these on display or even make them. yes i read the dewalt story. i live in canada which isnt so lawyer heavy. any other stories about selling them or such.

thx dave

i guess it would be like selling drugs. word of mouth cash deals if you sold logos to stick on your car or sportbike.

just tell "customers' u cant sell copyrighted logos...but if they would make a donation to your favorite charity, YOU...then u could give them one.

you can make all of them that you want FOR YOU. you cannot sell them or give them away in any form even if it is for a donation..... unless it is to the company that owns the copyright.

Why not just follow the laws. These companys pay a lot of money developing a distinct identity if you would develop a logo or what ever for your business would you like someone to steal the artwork and make money off your hardwork? That is what you do when you sell copyrighted material. And welcome from the old sue happy US

Dan

• Like 1

so you have a logo. your business is motorcycles no pedaling decals. if a percentage of the public are displaying your reputation in the form of a decal its a display of market power. best example would be a drug that once the patent is lifted and the brand has identity it can be made by anyone. the only one with an issue would be the guy who designed it. a logo is not what the company makes. unless your A-style with a brand but no product.

in the end it doesnt matter. if everyone owned a cutter then what

What exactly is the dewalt story?

person gave receipt for a dewalt logo and lawyers and court had to work it out. dewalt did not authorize they claimed

Ebay is flooded with people making motorcycle logos, not to mention the places that make custom graphics usualy let you choose your own logos to incorporate into them. The only company I ever heard of being fussy about their logo is Red Bull. Something about their logo in the US or whatever. That's why you can't find Red Bull helmets and crap that's readily available in Europe.

What exactly is the dewalt story?

I think he means John Deere?

It is a not as serious as illegal drug sales , but it is along the same lines of expoxure . never get caught & never any problems ... get caught & problems . I was doing excavation work near Church circle in Annapolis & watched a drug deal go down on the corner mid-day , i looked across the street & a uniformed cop was watching also . he just shook his head & walked away . That is about what goes on with the e-bay sales of copyrighted/trade-marked stuff . BTW , I am almost sure you can't make any copy-righted/trade-marked stuff even for oneself . I have been wrong before ... 1 time I thought I was wrong .. turns out I wasn't :lol: :laugh: :lol: On the De-Walt thread , I called Laura several times & left messages , but never any contact . I am sure she would love to finish telling us what transpired ( since the only reason she posted was to warn others of her misfortune , Yea Laura !!! ) , but the resolution must have includes a no disclosure agreement which she seems to be abiding by .

I don't get many requests for logos, except for a job I did requiring motorcycle manufacturers. In that instance I called the manufacturers directly and received all the vectors directly from them (without restriction)I needed via email or in the form of links to "media" sections of their web sites.

I wonder if since I didn't request or receive permission for the specific job in any of the email chains, could I then use and distribute as desired? I still have the email chains to back me up... hmm?

I forgot to add, sweet bike!

My buddy has a 1098 (I'm a R.A.T.), do you happen to have any patterns/vectors of graphics or race plates for a 1098 you care to share?

I don't get many requests for logos, except for a job I did requiring motorcycle manufacturers. In that instance I called the manufacturers directly and received all the vectors directly from them (without restriction)I needed via email or in the form of links to "media" sections of their web sites.

I wonder if since I didn't request or receive permission for the specific job in any of the email chains, could I then use and distribute as desired? I still have the email chains to back me up... hmm?

I would assume so

I am into motorcycles also & enjoyied roadracing . I raced with WERA & it is " the most fun you can have with your clothes on " :) .