rtrevino821

Remove screws on a trailer

Hello everyone, I have a trailer that I need to letter in layered vinyl (gold & black) and I did a test to see if I could go over the screws and its not happening. I keep getting a tunnel on either the top or bottom of the screw from excess material. My thoughts are to remove them, only thing is the trailer has been recently repainted and they just spray over the rivets. Can I just use an exacto to cut the paint behind the screw to prevent cracking when removing? Also I know there are going to be some that won't come out due to stripping, any tips or tricks to get those out? Thanks for bearing through.

Use a heat gun and shrink the vinyl to fit the contours better. Takes some getting used to so you may want to practice on some scrap pieces.

Yea I tried heating it with a torch giving it light heat and then tried again with more heat and both resulted with wrinkles. I tried several times with scraps to no avail. I think these screws are too big to go over they are fairly large. I'll post some pics in a bit.

If you remove the screws there will be a divit in the new paint that will show through the vinyl when it's done unless u fill it with something

Just a thought

MM64 B)

Hey guys I took the plunge and took a screw out to see if the surrounding paint would be affected. And nothing happened to the paint! Great news. The job began to fly after that. The job is time sensitive so trying to finesse the vinyl over every rivet isn't an option anymore.

Handyman I read some use a tennis ball but I couldn't get the technique because it wrinkled as well.

Mopar I plan on putting the screws back in so that divit shouldn't be noticeable.

Attached are some pics of what I got trying everything short of the $50 rolle pro wheel..

post-18885-0-74906500-1324440984.jpg

A good cast vinyl one layer at a time with a little heat would have done the job. But do what you are comfortable with.

Yea I tried both prelayered then thought the same thing that I should go one layer at a time. It came out a little better but still notice the wrinkles up close. And yea I am using calendar vinyl which doesn't help any but I was able to remove the screws this time so lucky me. Thanks everyonefor the help I will let you know how it comes out! Now if I could get my put to cut right but that's another thread, lol.

When I did my first trailer, I removed the screws, installed the lettering, and then reinstalled them. I then painted them to match the vinyl. I was lucky though, I used only red, white and black vinyl