where do you get your logos?

I make them myself (the ones on the side). I need to be able to fix a mistake quick if I make one. I just started doing these a few weeks ago. I use Corel draw. I actually enjoy it better than making the boards. I guess this opens a new door.

They are all vinyl, no printing. I can't print just cut. The boards are painted a solid color and the rest is vinyl.

• Like 1

i have a question on these boards Being that they are copyright logos(if im not mistaking). how does one get by with these like this, Because your making a profit off of these logos and boards? Even though they are copyright?:huh:

• Like 1

i have a question on these boards Being that they are copyright logos(if im not mistaking). how does one get by with these like this, Because your making a profit off of these logos and boards? Even though they are copyright? :huh:

Thanks for checking. Two assumptions on your part, first that I am selling these and 2nd that I’m making a profit.

it was just a question not to be smart or anything i mean thats what people do around here to turn a dime i mean jeez

AND he didn't give you a smart reply.. no where did he say he was charging or selling these. JEEZZZZZ people do a alot of hobby work on here ya know, Not everybody on here is turning a dime. They do it as a hobby, instead of buying from sellers. Many guys on here do up their own race cars. 'Cause it's cheaper. THe factory I worked at, had their own vinyl cutter, So, they could do their own wall sayings. Logos on walls, numbers on machinery, stencils for packing boxes. etc. And could change them when ever they wanted. They weren't turning a dime by using a vinyl cutter, they were saving many dimes.

• Like 1

i know skeeter its really nice work there but people around my town setup side of the road and sell these thats why i was wondering about the copyright thing

i know skeeter its really nice work there but people around my town setup side of the road and sell these thats why i was wondering about the copyright thing

and when they get caught,, it's their butt.... It's just a matter of time.. :police:

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if its a hobby or for profit or for the Pope. Its still copyright infringement if you don't have permission to use them. . So the only assumption you can make is that hes a copyright violator . Theres nothing in the law says that if you do it for hobby or for friends its legal.

So the for hobby is just a plain stupidity defense. And a costly one.

• Like 2

Well, name calling and so close to Christmas... >:(

So I think I'll toss some wrenches in here...

According to this sites interpretation of copyright law:

http://www.free-legal-document.com/copyright-infringement.html

Partially quoted::

What does Not constitute Copyright Infringement

* Reproducing work for private, personal, academic or research purposes. This does not give anyone carte blanche to copy work and the "fair dealing" principle will apply.

* Using small portions of a work with acknowledgement to the author - if the portion used does not represent the core of the original work. It is the importance or quality of the work copied rather than the quantity, which will be a deciding factor. Determining how much or how little constitutes infringement or fair use is a gray area and care must be taken before using anyone's work.

* Creating an identical work without copying the original such as where two identical photographs of the same scene are produced by separate people.

As we can see here, if you use it strictly for yourself, it's okay.

Surprisingly, if you create it yourself, it's still okay! Creating an original photograph is no different than creating an original eps file of someone's logo! Not copyright infringement!

Now, as to that "copyright infringement" itself. Using a logo of some sports team would not be held under the copyright laws at all. The logo is technically a trademark. So you'd really be talking about trademark infringement. Oddly enough, those laws deal entirely with selling some kind of product and using the same or similar logo as some other company to make money off of a familiar logo.

Now as a disclaimer; I am not a lawyer and have not investigated this any more than the past five minutes on the net. But my readings of the interpretations of the laws hold true to the above. If you're making something strictly for yourself, the entire world is open to you, including those "copyrighted" logos... More so if you created them yourself.

Do we have any lawyers among us? Would be interesting to hear from someone who actually knows the laws...

For me and my hobby cutting, strictly for myself, I'm not losing sleep over it all ;D:bear:

• Like 1

Hey I'm no lawyer myself nor did I stay at a Holiday Express or have a Red Bull or triple layer gum.

I got no issues if someone infringes or thinks they aren't infringing or whatever. Not my ass. They are very nice looking boards not doubt. Did a really great job on them. However I don't believe I would come on a pubiic searchable forum and post pics of things I have made for whatever reason using images that are protected by US laws.(copyright or trademark) I wouldn't want the headaches and worries from a CR/TM suit or a C&D letter and two I don't have the money to pay big fines and lawyer bills. You think a lawyer for any of those schools really cares if they are for friends or buddies or a 4th of July BBQ's. No cuz if they allow him to do it then anyone can do it and its money out of the CR/TM owners pockets. Hell a million people could say Hey it was for personal use. Do you think thats really gonna fly ?

No were on the official copyright site http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html#infringement does it say that hobby use, personal use is allowed. In fact they say

What is copyright infringement?

As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

Also from the copyright site

How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?

Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See FL 102, Fair Use, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians.

No were is personal, doing as a hobby mentioned. I don't even think it can be assumed from those statements.

And whether trademark/copyright or service mark still playing with fire. Its not skin off my butt. But comments stating its for personal use or my daughter or a friends kid or a hobby were someone may come along not knowing or thinking about willfully infringing might get the wrong idea that they couldn't get in trouble is not too cool. Proper info needs to be dispensed.

Extra reading material

LSU Trademarks/Intellectual Property

LSU trademarks, content and images appearing on this website and other indicia identifying LSU or constituting intellectual property owned or licensed by LSU are reprinted with the permission and subject to the control of the Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College. LSU's trademarks, content, images and other intellectual property identifying LSU, its services and programs remain the property of LSU and may not be used, reprinted or reproduced without the express written permission of LSU.

Also try this one

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110624/01393814836/kind-blue-using-copyright-to-make-hobby-artist-pay-up.shtml

read the comments. some say they are different others dont.

I can't find the one were the Einstein owners sued a guy for image usage. Big $$$ lost by him.

Would something happen I don't know. Could something happen. Possible. And if so could just be a C&D or and expensive lawsuit so why even take the chance on a public forum ? There are companies that search for these things.

Go to the t-shirtorums.com and read about a few of the things that have happened. And probably many other forums.

Again they are really nice looking boards.

Are you overcoating those with varnish or eurathane?

Polyurethane. I’m using Oracal 651. Anybody know the effects of lacquer (nitrocellulose) on vinyl? I have not tried it yet.