forsalevinylsigns

charging for 36 feet of cut stickers

Hi everyone! I have a customer who wants to get some lettering that he will install.

I only cut 15inch rolls. The lettering is going to be 8'' tall and 36 feet long, since i only have a 15 inch roll, im going to have an excess of 7'' roll that i will save for later use. What price are you guys at? (I attached a picture, the top roll is 36 feet long. If i do the lettering at 6.5'' tall, i can place them together in the 15'' and cut down the length to 15 feet in length and I wouldnt have any excess material that I would have to save for late use....

How much would u guys charge in either situation?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

post-2557-0-42989900-1324155414.jpg

In my opinion if your having issues with your current inventory to accomplish this order then its your problem. I hope that doesnt sound rude. But if your going to charge him extra because the logistics dont fit your current work flow, just keep in mind that your client can likely find some place more suited to his task. I used to buy a lot of cut vinyl before i started doing it my self and when people came to me with problems saying they would need to charge extra after they already quoted me unless the order was modified I usually told them to skrew off. Thats just me tho, a lot of people bend over to these kinds of things.

But im not exactly sure what you man when you say you only cut 15 inch rolls and that you will have 7 left over. Do you mean you only cut 15 inch WIDE rolls? A lot of people my self included buy it at the 24 inch width. Its cheaper that way for me. I have a 15 roll of black and of white 751 but thats all.

Also, this is in the wrong section. Also, people are going to need to know what kind of vinyl your cutting to give you pricing tips. But it sound like you need spacing tips not price advice. But whats wrong with charging your usual hourly rate + mats? If you have a bunch left over dont charge him for vinyl that didnt end up on his sign is my opinion. You could certainly bump up your price a bit because of it but dont literally charge him for the exact vinyl thats not in his sign. Either that or just charge directly by the foot of vinyl up front then add what ever is usual for you.

I agree with Gripy add a few spaces between words... you need something to hold on to when applying. A 15" by 50yd roll can be had for around .40 per liner foot. the graphics take up over 50% of the workable area center the words on the material and hit send no weed boarder... no worries about tracking... charge for the whole piece. Pricing you have under $25 for vinyl and tape... half hour to 40 minutes ta cut weed tape and draw baselines then call for pick up. So figure mark up and an hour min charge. Wasting time trying to save a few cents worth of vinyl is penny wise but pound foolish. ;)

Thanks for the reply guys. I only have a 15'' cujtter, thats why I only cut in 15'' rolls. Im using Oracal 651 white. times are tough and competition is tough(especially where im located), What do you guys think would be a reasonable price to charge in either scenario? II have the inventory to do it, its just i would like to be cost effective on my part that way i can pass the saving onto the customer. Like Gripy says, customer can turn around and get it done some where else. I put the letter tight but theres probably a one inch gap between them, which i would cut and each word would install seperately.

How much would you guys charge for the whole piece?

Thanks

If it's as tight as you claim in your local (?) then use local pricing... if you really want the job do it as cheaply as you feel you can,

$175 here

Honestly don't worry about saving extra vinyl, Vinyl is so cheap that you can throw away a few extra inches. I understand you can use it later for a small job but like i said, vinyl is so cheap it really doesn't matter. The customers paying for your service more than he is the vinyl. We all know vinyl is cheap and anyone can buy vinyl but it's the service and quality that separates you from someone else who does the same thing. Even if you are more expensive.

The time and aggravation you will have trying to save a few inches of material, will cost you way more than you save in the extra time you spend trying to put it together. Been their done that. Put a calculator to several different jobs and the savings are in the labor more than the vinyl. do a good job laying out the cut to maximize the space you are cutting and remember to add room to work with it. Your jobs will go much faster thus the customer saves because of less labor costs, and they get their product faster. School of Hard Knocks teaches hard and expensive lessons. :rolleyes: