desertdog10

My cuts are just a bit off - leaving small vinyl "threads"

Hey all, I've had my copam for a couple of years and have paid for it numerous times with the stuff I make but lately I've been noticing an issue that I was wondering if anyone else has had happen. I've noticed that when weeding, I'm getting these little "ropes" of vinyl at one point on each letter. I've not noticed these before and with some further investigating, I see that what's happening. I didn't know that the cutter goes past the start point when it makes, say a circle, but in my case, when it does, it is just a little bit off so that it leaves this tiny thread of vinyl where it didn't match up with the start point. It's happening on all my cuts, which are short bumper sticker sized. I tried taking the cutter apart and cleaning belts, rollers, etc. All the belts were nice and tight, feels like my pinch rollers are nice and tight. I was hoping there was something that I could adjust or tighten to fix the old girl back to normal. I've attached a pic, but it's not really clear. Also, there's been no change to offset, pressure, or speed to account for the gradual change. I'd getting time for me to consider another cutter and keep this one as a spare but I was hoping to get a little more out of her before I bite the bullet on my new one. Any help appreciated!

-Jeff

I'm having a very similar problem. Just bought an (old) second hand CP-2500, completely new to the game so have no idea what to do in situations like this.

What's happening:

IMAG02992.jpg

Cuts consistently don't start and finish at the same point, makes weeding very difficult. I've tried adjusting the blade offset, switched sign programs to no avail. Blade seems ok, swivels, nothing stuck in it etc.

Unfortunately it only came with a single blade and roll of vinyl so I can't really swap anything out to see if it's the problem, and don't really have any idea if it would be anyway..

Any ideas?

I've had this same problem since I bought my cutter a couple months ago and nothing I've tried has fixed it. I have a thread for it in the MH series section here: http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/34878-cutter-not-returning-to-exact-starting-point-of-the-cut/

You can read up on that because there are a lot of suggestions to try. I only ask one thing, if you find something that works or helps in the slightest bit PLEASE reply to either thread and let me know. That's the biggest issue I've seen on these, and probably many other, forums is that once people find something that works they never reply again.

I've had this same problem since I bought my cutter a couple months ago and nothing I've tried has fixed it. I have a thread for it in the MH series section here: http://forum.uscutte...int-of-the-cut/

You can read up on that because there are a lot of suggestions to try. I only ask one thing, if you find something that works or helps in the slightest bit PLEASE reply to either thread and let me know. That's the biggest issue I've seen on these, and probably many other, forums is that once people find something that works they never reply again.

I hope you noticed, he has a totally different cutter than yours, (Copam 2500) and his is USED,, that could have been the reason it was sold.. didn't work right...

I'm having a very similar problem. Just bought an (old) second hand CP-2500, completely new to the game so have no idea what to do in situations like this.

What's happening:

IMAG02992.jpg

Cuts consistently don't start and finish at the same point, makes weeding very difficult. I've tried adjusting the blade offset, switched sign programs to no avail. Blade seems ok, swivels, nothing stuck in it etc.

Unfortunately it only came with a single blade and roll of vinyl so I can't really swap anything out to see if it's the problem, and don't really have any idea if it would be anyway..

Any ideas?

You stated you adjusted the blade offset,, but you didn't state what you adjusted it to. Or what cutting software and drivers you are using..

I hope you noticed, he has a totally different cutter than yours, (Copam 2500) and his is USED,, that could have been the reason it was sold.. didn't work right...

Yes I did notice this. I was trying to provide any information to him that I have that could possibly help him. In return I was hoping that anything that he finds that works for him will possibly help me.

nsackman22, does your cutter do the same thing when you use a pen, instead of a blade?

Does it do the same thing in Signcut software?

nsackman22, does your cutter do the same thing when you use a pen, instead of a blade?

Does it do the same thing in Signcut software?

I have not tried the pen, thanks for the suggestion I will try it next. Also, I haven't installed the signcut software because I didn't want to become reliant on it and have to pay for it down the road. I did notice people talking about the "over cut" feature and it sounds nice.

I don't use my cutter very often as this is just a hobby and not a business so that's why I'm able to keep cutting with this issue. I maybe use it once or twice a week.

You stated you adjusted the blade offset,, but you didn't state what you adjusted it to. Or what cutting software and drivers you are using..

I've for the most part been using Signblazer, tried Flexi and it made little difference. I started with a 0.25mm offset (in the cutter, 0 in the software) as that seems to be common, tried adjusting to many values either side of that without making much difference.

Don't have a pen to try unfortunately.

Just tried using the overcut feature in Flexi, makes weeding a bit easier but goes no where near fixing the problem, mostly exaggerates it in some areas.

Might have to try purchasing a new blade.

No one brought it up that I read anyway, remember the blade has to turn inside the holder, take a magnifying glass and look inside and make sure there isn't a little piece of vinyl in there preventing it from turning also some graphite or a drop of oil would help. Make sure your rollers are on track, and that there isn't anything loose in the blade assembly. Just some quick thoughts and it appears to me also you have to much blade exposed , you should just be able to feel it a little when you run your finger over it...

Yep I actually pulled the blade back a bit after Skeeter mentioned it, is a much nicer cut now.

The blade seems to be able to turn freely (manually anyway), and I also tried a drop of oil. I tried wiping the blade to get rid of any little bits of vinyl, didn't think of a magnifying glass.

Appreciate the replies guys.