BossThinksImWorking

Is there a good reason to pay extra for Corel Draw 4 or 5 with new cutter?

I'm on my second pcut and they have served me well, but, I'm ready to get serious and am about to buy a Graphtec this week (possibly a Roland but pretty sure it will be the Graphtec). The big question is should I pay extra to get Corel Draw 4 or 5? Or, will Corel Draw 3, which is included free, be all I really need?

Thanks!

Carolane

The 3 is all you need IMO. It's designing software, and it will do what you want it to do as far as designing etc.

Of course the new .eps files need to be considered in though.

This is my opionion , yours may vary.

The 3 is all you need IMO. It's designing software, and it will do what you want it to do as far as designing etc.

Of course the new .eps files need to be considered in though.

This is my opionion , yours may vary.

It DOES .. in case you didn't know .... :):bear:

Opinions are like.... well.... You know ;D >:D:bear:

Just for the sake of some poor person who happens on this thread and knows no better, you folks are talking about X3, X4 and X5 of Corel; right?

I mention this because the versions 3, 4 and 5 may still be available and I'd hate to see someone pay good money for such an old program. Although I wish I could find my old clip art CD's as they went downhill fast after version 5.

That's in my opinion anyways :lol::bear:

That's one of the reasons I entered this thread. I did not say "X5"! I said "5". There's a huge difference. Corel started at "1", then "2", then "3", then "4", then "5", then "6", and on up to "12". They somehow decided that releasing a version "13" was a bad idea so they named it "X3". "X4" and "X5" followed. "X5" is NOT "5"!

And yes, the release of "X3" was a mistake... :huh::bear:

But I can't afford an upgrade to "X5"...

My comment was about the vector graphics that accompany the graphics suite. Versions "3", "4", and "5" had amazing graphics with great detail. After those versions, it was all downhill with poor, cartoony graphics that I generally hate...

That's one of the reasons I entered this thread. I did not say "X5"! I said "5". There's a huge difference. Corel started at "1", then "2", then "3", then "4", then "5", then "6", and on up to "12". They somehow decided that releasing a version "13" was a bad idea so they named it "X3". "X4" and "X5" followed. "X5" is NOT "5"!

And yes, the release of "X3" was a mistake... :huh::bear:

But I can't afford an upgrade to "X5"...

My comment was about the vector graphics that accompany the graphics suite. Versions "3", "4", and "5" had amazing graphics with great detail. After those versions, it was all downhill with poor, cartoony graphics that I generally hate...

Thanks for CLARIFYING ! Geeeeesh! Didn't mean to strike a nerve sorry if I did.

If you search thru forums over at corel and others alot seem to have issues with X5. It doesn't appear to be as stable as x3 or x4 even with the service packs.

If you have X3, don't waste your money on anything else. learn and use X3. It will do just about anything you need and do it well. Some things may not be intuitive but all software trades off on menu structure and definitions.

I haven't looked seriously at X4 or X5 only because I can't afford to upgrade at the moment. But I will upgrade at some point.

The only "flaws" that bother me in X3 are the loss of the center line tracing. That was a big plus in earlier versions and I heard it came back in X4 but I'm not 100% sure about that. I certainly miss the feature and keep a working copy of Corel 11 for it's separate tracing program for when I need the center line feature.

It also flaws in flowing text on a curve. For example, it you flow around a circle (short text, large circle) and want the text at the bottom, it will be upside down and backwards. You have to pre-plan by flipping and mirroring the text before you follow the curve so it's correctly oriented. This one really pains me and is the major factor in my wanting an upgrade.

Beyond that, Corel is amazing and packed with features. It will even make rhinestone patterns with all those little holes to drop the stones into. It does much more than I need it for but I have found nothing else as easy to use and feature rich.

Thanks for CLARIFYING ! Geeeeesh! Didn't mean to strike a nerve sorry if I did.

Bear gets his panties tightly wadded up sometimes :lol: :laugh: :lol::bear::angel: , but I am sure all he was doing is clarifying a typo that is e-z to make . I am sure most would assume the discussion was about the newer X3 , but 3 was listed . I was looking to buy Corel Draw on e-bay & was shocked at how cheap it was .. until I realized it was not the X series Corel Draw . Bear knows , that I know . that he knows , some don't know ... Corel has the 1-12 without the X . He was making sure everybody was on the same page :thumbsup: . Some things are hard to decide how to take with typing only . Believe it or not , some have taken me as abrasive & I am not that at all . I enjoy banter & lively debates as long as intelligence & maturity is maintained .

It's all good no problems no stress. I really enjoy this forum and all it has given me. I to am looking at X5 at the moment but I am concerned about these crashing & freezing issues. I hope service pak 3 takes care of that but will have to read some more. Cheers and a Happy New Year to ALL!

• Like 1

Hey, at least my panties aren't pink! And I don't think anyone here thinks Rodger is abrasive :lol: >:D:blink::angel::bear:

Either that or I just don't think...

• Like 1

Hey, at least my panties aren't pink! And I don't think anyone here thinks Rodger is abrasive :lol: > :D:blink::angel::bear:

Either that or I just don't think...

Bayotle is the " PINK " guy , not me :)