Dr12volt1338

Vinyl Express R31 Different blade and holder

I have the R31 machine and there is no adjustment on the blade exposure in the holder. It's supposed to be adjustable but if I adjust it by unscrewing like they show after a few minutes of operation it works it way all the way loose and then no blade is exposed. My question is can I purchase a better holder with blades and use that. I don't have my machine here so I can't measure the diameter of the blade holder holder. ( I know very wordy) The only issue I can for see is maybe it would through my offset off if the diameters were different. Would it through it off enough to worry or would it be close enough I could just adjust it in my production manager. Next question is what do you guys suggest for a new holder and blade types and angle? I have been doing this for a couple years and never had a need to change blades until recently since I am on my last one. Who recommends what for cutting vinyl. I use mainly RichCal which is very similar most any other 2.5 or 3 mil calendered vinyl out there.

I have the R31 machine and there is no adjustment on the blade exposure in the holder. It's supposed to be adjustable but if I adjust it by unscrewing like they show after a few minutes of operation it works it way all the way loose and then no blade is exposed. My question is can I purchase a better holder with blades and use that. I don't have my machine here so I can't measure the diameter of the blade holder holder. ( I know very wordy) The only issue I can for see is maybe it would through my offset off if the diameters were different. Would it through it off enough to worry or would it be close enough I could just adjust it in my production manager. Next question is what do you guys suggest for a new holder and blade types and angle? I have been doing this for a couple years and never had a need to change blades until recently since I am on my last one. Who recommends what for cutting vinyl. I use mainly RichCal which is very similar most any other 2.5 or 3 mil calendered vinyl out there.

On the blades I recommend a Clean Cut blade..If you call and mention your a forum member they give 10% off your purchase...If your looking for a different blade holder you might try Sign Warehouse they sell the Vinyl Express cutter series and possibly have a different blade holder...

If your blades working it's way out you might need to replace the 'O" ring in it..Thats what mine has to keep its adjustment intact???

It's not the o ring its the design of the piece itself. where it is circled is where the adjustment is. You unscrew that and insert the blade then as u tighten it thats how you adjust it. The problem is the threads are very course so as soon as its cracked loose there is no tension on the threads to keep it from just unscrewing as its running. I have used "shims" to be able to just tighten to the shim but there isn't enough thread there to get a good bite to hold it still. Thats why I was hoping maybe someone knew if I could go to a better quality blade holder. I really do not like this machine and wish I would have gotten another Pcut or something but for the time being this is all I can afford so hopefully I can "manipulate" this machine into doing what I need for a few more months. The blade sticks out to far and catches on most any pointed corners of my cuts and snags them as its moving to another cut adjusting speed and tension don't help any. There are adjustments to adjust how far the carriage moves up and down. Works just like the coil on a speaker but that also helped none.

post-5042-0-75280300-1323617276.jpg

Looks similar to the graphtec holders. You want to adjust your blade exposure by turning the top... Think like a deoderant container... If that makes any sense lol

LOL that makes perfect sense however the top is all one piece the "gripped" part is all one solid unit and doesn't twist or turn or anything. That is how my PCUT was but this one is very cheap and garbage.

I don't know how well the picture will show but the amount of blade sticking out is equal to the thickness of 4 business cards.

post-5042-0-92579800-1323876390.jpg

I have seen what is basically a locking nut ( that tightens to hold the adjustment ) on all blade holders . If your's has that & tightening by hand is not holding , take pliers & GENTLY tighten it more than you were by hand . If your's does not have that .. is something missing ? At any rate , if you get any holder that will fit into the clamp on the cutter & be able to tighten that clamp on it ... that will work . My Copam's blade holder is 7/16ths diameter . USCutter sells blades & blade holders http://www.uscutter....utter-Blades-15 . I can BEARLY :) see my blade & can BEARLY feel it with my callused hands & I get perfect cuts . It looks like your blade is 10X out too far . I think many people adjust with pressure & that makes it more incosistant when using different vinyls . Ken Imes posted to use 120 + grams of pressure a long time ago . I heeded that advice & have gottend great results ever since . I am using 170 grams of pressure right now as the blade has been used alot . Regular Roland blades work great & are much cheaper than the blades that cost $16 each http://www.ebay.com/...=item415fdb9c8e .

You guys all helped me huge with the blade depth on my PCUT that is how I know this is out to far. I will have to order one from Uscutter because this is just to much of a headache trying to adjust everything and still ending up with bad cuts. Thank You for all the input.