TruckCentral

ok so I am just another newbie

OK so I am just another newbie in the game. I recently purchased a used but very well taken care of Refine MH721. I bought it from a friend who upgraded to a Roland plotter/printer. I know the 721 made him money and would like to do the same. I have some graphic experience but am totally new to this. First it didn't have any software so I went and downloaded SB and Inkscape. Well as of right now I am not impressed with inscape and so I re-installed my adobe software on here.Much easier for me to edit and make graphics INMHO on adobe.(its what I know) So I am trying to phase out inkscape. Now My next point of issue is Sign Blazer. It seems to me to be a PITA program. perhaps I am missing the simplicity or something but like I said I am new at this. IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE to Sign Blazer? Will another program that is perhaps more user friendly work with this plotter and if so can some one point me in the right direction on how to acquire and set it up to run with this machine? For now I will try and read all the other threads but some direction would be much appreciated. Also i have many jpeg and gif files that I have created and would like to cut but the whole process of getting them to the correct file to cut is messing with me. It seems I have no problems with some things I have and others don't seem to work even if I follow same procedure. Sigh.

Thanks ahead of time

Art a.k.a. TruckCentral

What kind of issues are you having with SignBlazer? I like it for cutting and editing text. Create your designs in Adobe then save them as .eps. Because SignBlaser is old and hasn't been updated you need to save the as .eps version 8 out of Adobe. I usually create my text in SignBlazer because then it is editable in my cutting program. this saves multiple exports when all you need is to change text especially when doing team things when all you do is change names on multiple items.

I maybe totally doing this wrong.. In adobe ps.. not ai.. i save the file i'd like to use as an eps file... but then in SIgn blazer i go to import it.. and its not there.. SB wont see eps files?:huh:? If some one is serious about helping i would so love to have someone on a skype call and i could show desk top so i can be corrected if i am doing something wrong. Jay please forgive me if i sound lame.. I am new to all this crap. I can crate a cool jpg for other use but this whole vectoring thing has me messed up.. Thanks ahead of time for anyhelp and thanks for taking the time to respond already..

If you would be willing or anyone willing to skype call please PM me and we can go from there.. Thanks again.

Art

I don't think you can create a vector file in Photoshop. You need to use Adobe Illustrator and when you save it out of Illustrator, you need to save it as version 8.

http://screencast.com/t/TqvPyJ1KfXny

Then to open it in SignBlazer, File + Import. Select the file from where you saved it then click OK. Click the "The Full Post Script Interpreter" option.

http://screencast.com/t/exo7kE3BuGY

Alright guys thank you.. I did how ever figure something out. Its an extra step but i figured out how to go from Photoshop to sign blazer. Is it fool proof? no but i can make it work for now. but there is an extra step. I can create it in Adobe PS but then save it and open it in Ink Scape to then switch it to a file i can use with sign blazer. I know its probably not the easiest or fasted way but with software i already own and freeware i am finally cutting stuff I have created.. I am sure I will have more questions so I dont think ill be leaving the forum.. lol Dan thanks for the welcome and Jay and VM thank you..

OK so I have been quiet. Sorry. I managed to figure out the biggest part of my issues and can say I am off and running. I am cutting like a pro.. LOLOLOLOL OK so I am cutting.. I have searched on here(the forums) but due to not knowing possibly the correct terms I am having no luck. My plotter, again the mh721, does a great job and thru trial and error i have pretty much figured out how to dial in the force or pressure for the blade even after changing it out and switching from one roll to another and I am getting clean cuts as far as depth. My problem I am noticing is that the plotter doesn't always finish the cut.you can see where the knife begins a cut and when it ends a cut it is off by just a hair so when weeding it leaves that little tiny hair size bit that is a pain when weeding smaller decals and such. A larger piece it isnt so bad because it don't mess everything up around it. I have gone into the node editing portion to see and make sure all the lines are clean but even when they are it seems to leave these connections.you know the hanging chad effect?.... So with that I am fairly certain it isnt in the vectored image... But I will admit I am not perfect. Is there a setting in the plotter or in the software to dial this in? I am using the SB software(for now) and as far I know I have the ost current drivers for the plotter. And because when I post this I am going to look for the answer I will ask here.. How the heck do I get rid of the trial crap I have to sit thru every time I open SB?

Again thanks ahead of time for your input.

Art

sounds like you need to change your blade offset to get the ends to meet. in the Signblazer software. adjust at .05mm + or minus, see what looks better in your test cuts.

Sorry i didnt respond... yes it did..I believe i may need to adjust a bit more but now i know how to fine tune it a bit. Thank you. Is there a manual anywhere for these cutters? As I bought mine used I didnt get any documentation with it. Does anyone know?

I just seen sack, you are new here too..If you are having similar issues.. part of what my problem was, was the blade depth and pressure adjustment. Its not cheap to experiment with the vinyl but I highly recommend you take notes as I am whenever I make an adjustment. Make sure to note the vinyl thickness and brand as I found they are not all created equally. I recently figured out how valuable the test cut is when switching vinyl. Plus the test cuts are great for sample boards to show color options to customers or for your own reference. just sayin. My idea.. others may have other advice. good luck.

I'm having this issue

My problem I am noticing is that the plotter doesn't always finish the cut.you can see where the knife begins a cut and when it ends a cut it is off by just a hair so when weeding it leaves that little tiny hair size bit that is a pain when weeding smaller decals and such.

I'm using all the same brand and type of vinyl (Oracal 651), and my cuts are going through the vinyl just fine. It's just the issue where the cut starts and where it ends. Read the thread that I had going here:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/34878-cutter-not-returning-to-exact-starting-point-of-the-cut/

I went back last night and tried adjusting my blade offset again. I got it up to 0.30mm and all my points and angles are looking great but the start and finish of some cuts aren't coming together. Me changing the offset hasn't affected this at all.

TruckCentral, what did your offset end up being?