Sign in to follow this  
theishkid

PCut won't finish cuts.

I've got a Creation Pcut 630 with the keyspan adapter. it's hooked up to my 15" MacBook Pro running 10.7.2, and FlexiStarter 8.5v2.

I can cut everything I want to just fine... except "big jobs."

Tonight I tried cutting a job about 5" Tall x 33" Wide. It stopped right at 30"... twice. Same problem, same spot, each time. It stops with 92% complete in the project manager. Once I stop the file it says "write port error".

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I've attached some screen shots of all my settings, what I was cutting, and what project manager was saying. The Baud rate on the machine is also 9600 BPS. Please help... I really need to be able to cut larger files.

Thanks, Brad.

I did three things last night and tried it again. I was able to cut... I wish I did all of these things one at a time so I know what fixed it, but I did all three then tried again and it worked.

First I updated the keyspan driver for osx 10.7 that just came out last month.

I changed the curve quality (as seen in the pictures) from high to medium.

And I changed the dimensions of my material from 23.8" wide x 60" tall, to 23.8" wide x 1000" (I don't remember the exact number) tall.

That worked for the quote above. I'm going to try telling it to cut a 60" tall skeleton I had problems with back in October that did the same thing without the blade in the holder (so I don't waste vinyl) to see if I get the same problem I did back then.

Well I tried the skeleton tonight... Wouldn't cut... got stuck at 84%. I did get it to cut by turning the curve quality all the way down to low. Surely there is something else I can do or change to get it to cut properly.

Surely with all the people buying these plotters someone else has this problem? Is there anyone else that can't cut longer/detailed items?

Well I've done tons of test... It's definitely not static. I've cut the same job 6 times with different "conditions" including running the job without the blade or any vinyl loaded... I get stuck at a certain percentage every single time in the exact same spot. The only thing that helps is turning down the curve quality down from high to medium or even low for big jobs... but low looks absolutely horrible and frankly unusable.

Has anyone ever messed with packet sizes or even resolution? The other thread skeeter mentioned above has the guy asking about upgrading the memory in the machine. Has anyone ever done this?

try it on a different computer. or Turn the speed up on the vinyl cutter so it doesn't time out. Make sure all screensavers and power savers are turned off. I run all my Flexistarter's on packet size1000 kb...for over 5 years. Resolution changes the steps, the sizes will no longer be accurate. (I made that mistake once). I also only run at medium curve quality.. Turn off all weed lines. Takes up too much memory. Have never seen an upgrade on memory in the Pcuts. Make sure the material width x length is bigger than the design. I keep my vinyl length 1968" Make sure you have the design rotated correctly in the workspace.

Thanks for your help Skeeter... I'll run through everything and do more tests over the weekend.