Pappy

Banners that light up.....

Has anyone done a banner like this before....

I've got a client who found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-up-Banner-Sign-4ft-WE-BUY-GOLD-neon-yellow-/200646981249#ht_3814wt_1110

He wants me to do one for his chiro business.

I've searched the web and found a guy who's selling an instruction kit to do this. Maybe I need to buy his kit?

thanks...

I saw something on another sign forum that it's just 48" shop lights framed up but can't really confirm anything.

I have the instructions for that stuff. As soon as I find it I will post. It is very easy to do. The instructions are from the company that makes the vinyl.

Boy I would like to know how to do this also. Thanks Bikemike, that would greatly be appreciated.

Probably be tomorrow, I think they are on a computer I don't have access to from here.

If I don't find them, I will write it out, just won't have the pictures.

Thanks mike! I really appreciate it.

Probably be tomorrow, I think they are on a computer I don't have access to from here.

If I don't find them, I will write it out, just won't have the pictures.

I found him too, it looks like to me that its a shop light, with a banner that may be cut in half, with the images cut out of vinyl, and its held to the shop light with some kind of fastener, like may snaps. What do you think?

I'm thinking plexi glass attached to the shop light then colored light film, then cut vinyl. He's taking some kind of short cut to do it for under $25.

I found him too, it looks like to me that its a shop light, with a banner that may be cut in half, with the images cut out of vinyl, and its held to the shop light with some kind of fastener, like may snaps. What do you think?

Just seen the add on craigslist. Has anyone figure out the details on them yet

Ok, for the life of me I can’t find the link to the instructions. So, we are going to go off the top of my head here.

First, you are going to need a back lit box. Any one will do. Nothing special about that part. Even something from home depot.

I hope you already have your Plexiglas or whatever you want to use.

You need to find translucent neon vinyl. Transparent will not work and anything other than neon will not give you the effect. I have found a few places that sell it, so it is not that hard to find.

Now, get your text or whatever you are doing set up. You are going to need that file twice.

For the first cuts, that would be the neon, give everything a good amount of bleed, but not so much it overlaps if you are using more than one color.

Lay down your neon onto the plexi.

Now, go back to the file and basically cut a negative using whatever opaque color you want. I am sure darker would work best, but really anything should work.

I know, it is not a cut negative, more of a “how you weed it” kind of thing.

Put that layer over your neon layer and poof, you are done.

Oh, turn the lights on.

And that is all there is to making a “fake” neon sign.

If I manage to find the actual instructions for this, I will add them to this thread.

Thank you bikemike, thats what I thought you would put the neon color down first, and then layer black over it with the cut outs removed. I watched his video, and he keeps saying banner, and if you look at one of them it looks like its a banner material, and on others you can see the screws on the plexi glass.

Anyhow thank you!

Thanks Mike!

Thank you bikemike, thats what I thought you would put the neon color down first, and then layer black over it with the cut outs removed. I watched his video, and he keeps saying banner, and if you look at one of them it looks like its a banner material, and on others you can see the screws on the plexi glass.

Anyhow thank you!

I have the instructions for that stuff. As soon as I find it I will post. It is very easy to do. The instructions are from the company that makes the vinyl.

Well look what I found!!!

neobrite.pdf

• Like 3

ok an example of what I mean is here: http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1823wt_1110

Look at all 3 pictures. That is not vinyl laid on plexi.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Looks to me like that is just layered vinyl ready to be applied to a back lit sign.

Could be to replace a damaged one, or change what you already have.

Would it really matter if you layered it one by one on the plexi or layered it together and then applied it to the plexi?

That is what I am thinking anyway.

I understand why you are thinking that. I guess what is confusing me the most is why do they insist on calling it a "Banner" and they are saying that it can be easily snapped on and off, rolled up for storage and changed. Your not going to roll up a piece of plexi.