Sign in to follow this  
BoomDawgDesigns

Police car lettering

Have a job doing a police car. It is black and they want the black reflective lettering done like other police cars have. I was looking at the Oracal 5600 black reflective. Is this the right stuff. Just want to make sure before I order $200 in vinyl.

Thanks

We usually use all 5800 on emergency vehicles but thats just how we do it the 5600 will prob be just fine

Have a job doing a police car. It is black and they want the black reflective lettering done like other police cars have. I was looking at the Oracal 5600 black reflective. Is this the right stuff. Just want to make sure before I order $200 in vinyl.

Thanks

Ok let me see if I read this correctly... they have a new car that is Black. And they want black reflective lettering on it? :blink: I'd hope they'd at least want a white outline so it can be seen and read in the day. Remember to get a seal-it pen as well.... and do post pic's of it when your done. ;)

It's actually a Humvee. I think the point is that it is kind of an undercover look. I think it is going to be used mostly for parades and stuff. They only got it because they got a grant for it.

It's actually a Humvee. I think the point is that it is kind of an undercover look. I think it is going to be used mostly for parades and stuff. They only got it because they got a grant for it.

Unless that grant came from seizures they took that money from US Taxpayers. And to waste it on a gas guzzling Hummer is just why the country is in such a sorry state of affairs.

Ok now that's off my chest... I'd tell them to go with a Golden Yellow reflective against the black it would look kickin'. Black on black for a "Parade" vehicle is counter productive. But if they insist just wipe down the side and hand them a bill... tell them you used Emperor's Special Brand Vinyl. :P

• Like 4

The grant they got provides them with a used Humvee that the army no longer uses. I know thus because my brother wrote the grant for it. Total cost to them was $800. Don't think that is much of a waste. A bunch of departments around here have vehicles done in the same with the black on black.

It's a great deal for them to make money. They buy them, then have to keep them for a certain time, say one year, then sell for big profits.

A small city near me made some good money doing this.

The black reflective is the next thing to unmarked you can get.

there are a few aroun here done like that,personaly, i think its dumb, but as long as theyre paying.... lol

afa the govt surplus vehicles, thats really not how its supposed to work, and they can get into big trouble for that. the way the govt surplus contracts are worded, they have to put them into service within a year, which most municipalities misread that they have to keep them for a year, all that is saying is that you have to use it when you get it, not let it set around. and technically, they are only buying the right to use it. it is "their property" but the govt retains the right at any time to ask for it back. in order for them to legally sell them, they have to petition the govt for the right to do so.

im not saiyng that they are not doing it this way, legally, but i have seen a lot of govt surplus get sold, and i have yet to see any municipality around here do it legally. im sure the chances of the govt actually pushing the issue are slim to none, but id hate to be the guy they made the example of.

If you haven't ordered your vinyl yet I'd suggest using 3M. We had a fire dept SUV done with some black reflective (Avery I think) and sitting beside another department's vehicle with black 3M is night & day (at night!). The black 3M reflects much better, and closer to white than the other material.

And, since I started doing some small jobs I used 3M 5600 on a grey fire department utility vehicle. The cost was about the same as other black materials (at least where I was buying from). And the chief's goal was a somewhat stealth look. Black reflective on a black vehicle looks pretty good.

Good luck!