Wildgoose

Stahls heat transfer vinyl yuk?

Ok so I bought a heat press, (swing away type from US Cutter) and have had nothing but success with the Siser brand vinyls (Love Them!) At time of purchase I also shopped around and got several yards of various types and colors of vinyl from stahls direct to try out. I can't get them to apply very well. The temperatures recommended all seem too low and the carrier won't come up after application without pulling bad etc... Very disappointed and its probably something I am doing wrong. I am basically staying with the Siser brand but I have a bunch of this other stuff I would like to use up. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I bought an infrared thermometer to Make sure the platen is the proper temperature and I have played around with time and pressure but no success. They have videos on their website that show doing a 2 sec "kiss" then apply the second color with sportfilmlite but I can't get that to work for me. I am hoping someone has been through this also and has some tips.

Thanks,

Have you used and IR Temp Gun to verify the temp of your heat press??? Specific heat can be a big deal with certain films and I have heard good things about Stahls...

Yep, got the heat spot on but still having issues getting the carrier to pull of without it pulling up the vinyl and can't get the "2 second kiss" thing to work for me. I am hoping to get some info from them but I have found answers to almost every question I have come up with here on this forum. THis is the forst time I have had to ask for specific help. So far I have played with the pressure and heat settings. By ramping up the heat (a bunch) They come off better but it takes temperatures hot enough to start scorching the cothing. Not to big a deal on cotton but I am scared to do polyester.

Ah Ha moment! I think I just found out my own answer. I checked the website again and they recommend warm peel. I was trying to peel way too soon. Once the carrier cooled down a bit it came right off. Dumb newbie(me) LOL Just thought I'd pass this info along to the next newbie.