SpareParts

Application Tape ISSUES Please help!

I am having major app tape problems.

I used to use R-Tape Clear Conform AT-42 which I loved and had no problems with. R-Tape discontinued it recently so I was forced to get something else. I bought a roll of MainTape PreView Plus and have had quite a few problems with it. While it looks and works great for small decals it has been awful for anything medium or large sized and anything with multiple layers. My main issue is horrible wrinkling if it is rolled or wrinkling after a day or so if it is stored flat. This isn’t just a few wrinkles, it looks like the decal has been to the sauna even though the tape went on perfectly clean. I use larger diameter tubes for shipping and always roll the decal facing out. It goes in looking perfect, but then wrinkles right up within minutes. Also, if I am doing a multi-colored decal where the vinyl is layered over another piece of vinyl and then lifted to be placed over a third color, again with horrible wrinkling/bubbling.

I just bought a roll of R-Tape Clear Choice AT-60 and though I have not tried it out yet it looks to be exactly the same as the MainTape so I fear it willalso wrinkle when rolled.

Does anyone know of an application tape that is very similar to the R-Tape Clear Conform? Or something that does well when rolled? Is the R-Tape AT-75 the same as the AT-60? I do not want a paper tape and greatly prefer a film to any paper. Please help!

I see you don't want paper tape, BUT, paper application tape is best for large decals.and even small decals. I use Main paper application tape and make decals as large as 16 ft,/two sides. roll up, and ship and never have problems. At least, it has worked for me for many years now.

also have you done a search at other stores for the AT-42? Some other stores are showing/still selling it. See if still in stock at other stores, and buy what you can afford and stock up on it.

I have found the at-42 still in stock at a couple places, but still need to figure out what to use for when the supply dries up.

sorry, I just can't imagine using that clear on large decals. But have never tried the AT-42. I have tried the At-60 also, and have several different sized rolls, but would only put it on flat/unrolled/small decals. I rarely use it.

Have you contacted R-tape to see if they are replacing the AT-42 with something else, or have another tape close to it? Worth a shot.

I have contacted them twice through their website, but didn't get any response either time.

I wrote R-Tape yesterday, and received a reply first thing this morning :D I hope this info helps you out.

Good morning, Carolyn,

Yes, the AT42RLA has been discontinued, however, there may be some cut roll inventory available if you have a need.

We have Clear Choice AT75, which is a similar-looking and performing clear tape product. Depending on the application, it has been used successfully as a replacement for the AT42.

If you could let me know where you used to purchase AT42, and what size rolls, perhaps I can help. Also, I would be more than happy to forward a 6” or 12” sample of the AT75 for you to test in its place.

Best regards,

Laurie Richard

Manager, Customer Service & Pricing

signature-for-email-2011

• Like 1

Wow! How did you go about contacting them? I sent e-mails (3 now) through the form on their website and got nothing. :-\

I just sent a direct email to Sales@Rtape.com with my question. (Actually your question) :lol:

That is the address I sent to as well. :( I can't figure out why it is not working for me.

I didn't go about filling out their form , I just wrote AT-42 in the subject line,of my direct email. and asked your question. You have her name now, just request a sample of the AT-75 and see if it works out for you.

I did just send a request for a sample of the AT-75 and did get at least an automatic reply saying they had received the request so maybe something will happen. Thank you so much for the info!

I did just send a request for a sample of the AT-75 and did get at least an automatic reply saying they had received the request so maybe something will happen. Thank you so much for the info!

I never got an auto reply.. But I hope it works out for you... :D your welcome

Hello original poster. If you see this I'm wondering if you could please update your original post/question with what you ended up doing or what you have used since then. Thanks!