forsalevinylsigns

50% deposit etc

Hi! Everytime i meet with a customer, they expect me to do the job then they will pay me. the way I work is 50% deposit and the rest once the job is done. What do you guys think would be a good phrase to place on the back of a business card? 50% deposit Required" In big bold red letters, lol? Or 50% deposit Required on all work?

Why?.......I do not go out of my way to collect deposits....Sometimes clients will volunteer to pay up front but if they do not, I just invoice them...I did not have any bad accounts in 2010 and none so far in 2011.....

HA! You can tell you live in Canada, just last month I did a 2 color 4x4 sign for a realty company, lady didn't even look at it, it looked great!

She ask over the phone how much it was going to cost.........(Told her previously the amount)

She preseded to tell me it was to expensive for their taste.

But on the other hand, just heat the letters and peel them off and reuse the sign, only out the vinyl and time I guess.

I'm collecting 50% up front now though, sign board isn't cheap!

Just like computers, times are hard, I have over 24 computers in shop that noone can pay for, had to extend my 30 day abandon policy to help some out.

Guess it's all up to you, but I would collect 50% first IMO

• Like 1

Requiring a 50% deposit can be a delicate situtation as there will be prospects offended by an implication of distrust; resulting in trust issues on their part. Let us know what wording you ultimately choose that receives greatest acceptance.

I've wondered in the past if raising one's rates 10%-15% and then offering a 10%-15% discount for prepaid orders is a viable solution for dealing with deadbeat orders.

Why should asking for a deposit be a delicate subject? When you go to home depot or lowes and do a special order you pay 50% deposit and a sign is a special order is it not ? I require a deposit on all my work that involves very much of a out put of my cash or time. I went on a plumbing repair (frozen burst pipes) and laid out about 300.00 in materials 200.00 in helpers labor and expenses then find out that the customer was a renters and expected the landlord to pay and he never did hence the deposit unless it is a established customer. I had a customer ask me once when reviewing my proposal and seeing the deposit say if I pay this deposit can I trust you to the work ? And I replied if I can trust you to pay the balance when I am finished that gave him a different aspect. A deposit just gives the customer equity in the work ordered and are more likely to pick it up on completion instead of losing the deposit. I do not understand anyone taking offense to being asked for a deposit on special ordered work.

Dan

• Like 1

When I used to insist on a deposit I had pending jobs sit for a very long time and some that just went away....By my calculations I lost way more profit on jobs that went away than on jobs that did not pay me (none in last 1 3/4 years)...So I will continue to work as I do....

i show people a concept or thumbnail first before i even spend 4 hours drawing a logo, that way i dont waste time and materials. i just started doing vinyl, have been doing graphic design for 25 years.

Why should asking for a deposit be a delicate subject? When you go to home depot or lowes and do a special order you pay 50% deposit and a sign is a special order is it not ? I require a deposit on all my work that involves very much of a out put of my cash or time. I went on a plumbing repair (frozen burst pipes) and laid out about 300.00 in materials 200.00 in helpers labor and expenses then find out that the customer was a renters and expected the landlord to pay and he never did hence the deposit unless it is a established customer. I had a customer ask me once when reviewing my proposal and seeing the deposit say if I pay this deposit can I trust you to the work ? And I replied if I can trust you to pay the balance when I am finished that gave him a different aspect. A deposit just gives the customer equity in the work ordered and are more likely to pick it up on completion instead of losing the deposit. I do not understand anyone taking offense to being asked for a deposit on special ordered work.

Dan

I don't know a single sign shop,anywhere around here that doesn't require a deposit. Many require full payment up front. I don't cut an inch of vinyl without some money up front except for established,regular customers.

I also never had a complaint/ People expect to pay a deposit for custom work. I guess things are different in Canada,Roxy. IT's not like having a car repaired..you can't sell a sign with someone's phone number on it to anybody else.

When I used to insist on a deposit I had pending jobs sit for a very long time and some that just went away....By my calculations I lost way more profit on jobs that went away than on jobs that did not pay me (none in last 1 3/4 years)...So I will continue to work as I do....

I guess you never considered that if they couldn't pay a deposit,maybe they couldn't pay for the finished job,huh? Or maybe they found a better price. You assume too much.

Maybe you didn't lose a job,or profit.Maybe you just saved yourself from getting stiffed.

Roxy after over 40 years of dealing with people if when I quote a deposit they seem hesitant I begin to worry about that job right then. I will supply references both on my character and my workmanship and we don't usaly have the same option for the customer. I don't believe that I have ever lost a customers job by asking for a deposit if I did I probably wouldn't want it any way. I stay really busy so I don't need extra work at this point so the point is mute any way. I have probably became an ass but like after more than 40 years dealing with people you sort of learn to pick out the ones that will screw you over.

Roxy after over 40 years of dealing with people if when I quote a deposit they seem hesitant I begin to worry about that job right then. I will supply references both on my character and my workmanship and we don't usaly have the same option for the customer. I don't believe that I have ever lost a customers job by asking for a deposit if I did I probably wouldn't want it any way. I stay really busy so I don't need extra work at this point so the point is mute any way. I have probably became an ass but like after more than 40 years dealing with people you sort of learn to pick out the ones that will screw you over.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It has been years since I had a bad debt so I guess after 35 years of being self employed, I am also a good judge of character......I also keep busy and and make a good living....So as I said earlier, I will keep working just the way I do.....