Sign in to follow this  
kliman

Issues cutting "pointy" details

Hi, All

I've been using my Refine MH871 for a few months now, and I haven't really been having a lot of problems with it (short of a fried system board). I've recently started using the Oracal 631 vinyl, and I'm having some issues with small details (especially sharp points) lifting while the graphic is still being cut. In some cases, it's lifted and stuck itself to the cutter head, which makes a real mess of the piece. I've also had one lift and stick to a feed roller, which also tore the piece to shreds.

I've checked and double checked the blade setup...it's cutting perfectly. Weeding is no problem. Seems like this stuff just doesn't adhere very well to the backing paper, causing the fine details to lift easily.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the material causing my grief?

Hi, All

I've been using my Refine MH871 for a few months now, and I haven't really been having a lot of problems with it (short of a fried system board). I've recently started using the Oracal 631 vinyl, and I'm having some issues with small details (especially sharp points) lifting while the graphic is still being cut. In some cases, it's lifted and stuck itself to the cutter head, which makes a real mess of the piece. I've also had one lift and stick to a feed roller, which also tore the piece to shreds.

I've checked and double checked the blade setup...it's cutting perfectly. Weeding is no problem. Seems like this stuff just doesn't adhere very well to the backing paper, causing the fine details to lift easily.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the material causing my grief?

You could try to ease up on the presure of your blade. Or try to slow it down alittle. Good luck

You could try to ease up on the presure of your blade. Or try to slow it down alittle. Good luck

I've been wondering about that...I've tried it with as low as 60g force and at 8in/s. Not as bad, but still an issue for sure.

I will spray my blade with WD40 so things don't stick. It helps it spin inside of the holder too. Make sure it iw dry before cutting anything so the adhesive doesn't get contaminated.