BearlyRich

1st time banner advice needed

My wife, who wasn't originally thrilled with my vinyl purchases, now wants me to make a banner for her. Okay, I already planned ahead and have a roll of 13oz banner material and hemming tape and of course, the vinyl. Now, thinking about actually making a banner, I came on some issues that I'd like to get some advice about...

First off, the hemming tape. This particular banner will be 2x6'. I think the 2' edge should be not much of a problem. But that 6' edge worries me. How do you fold over that edge with the tape and get it straight so there's no wrinkles? In metal, there would be a bending brake involved; in fabric pins to hold it first... But a banner with double sided sticky tape? Any advice from the pros would be greatly appreciated!

Then grommets. I looked at USC and saw they sell an inexpensive press but it only comes with a #4 (7/16) die. That seems big to me. I have 1/2" grommets here and they're huge. What happened to #2's (3/8)? (and if USC is listening, why not have the #2 die available for that press??) I can easily hammer the grommets in but I do love an excuse to buy a new tool ;D

I'm hoping to lay down a 4x8 sheet of plywood to do this banner as I don't have a large enough workspace and am worried about the 6 foot length. I think I'll be able to manage though but we'll see. It's only vinyl after all :P But creating a smooth edge with the hem tape has me really worried...

Thanks for any help and advice!

I buy mine locally for about the same price (after shipping). I have bought some online before and what some people call 13 oz is nowhere near what I get from the local place. Also by the time they get to me they have creases in them. Check to see if you have a local supplier.

http://www.pacificcompanysigns.com/Wholesale_Banners.php

• Like 1

roxy the guy asked for advise on how to do the work for real. not like you and sub everything out.

for the banner hem mesure in 2" from edge then draw a light line end to end. now place your tape on the inside of the line. squeege it down. now when you fold your hem put it to the edge of the tape with light pressure until you get it all lined up then squeege it down. do this for all edges. it sounds hard but once you do it you will understand.

• Like 1

roxy the guy asked for advise on how to do the work for real. not like you and sub everything out.

for the banner hem mesure in 2" from edge then draw a light line end to end. now place your tape on the inside of the line. squeege it down. now when you fold your hem put it to the edge of the tape with light pressure until you get it all lined up then squeege it down. do this for all edges. it sounds hard but once you do it you will understand.

Too much work to hem them yourself unless you're printing. Just buy the blanks pre-made.

Roxy, thanks for directing to the right direction. Next time I want to ask a question, I'll ask you first what question I should ask :blink::P

Jay, no help at all as to what I asked. Thanks anyway...

jfought; Thank You! That's where I really wondered. I was tending towards placing the tape at the outside edge and then folding the edge + tape onto the banner. I thought the thickness of the tape would help hold it straight. I am very often wrong :P And oddly enough, I never even thought of drawing a line on the banner. Duh! This sure wouldn't be the first time I screwed up something. But that's the fun of learning!

And to others with the "go buy it here cheaper" advice. You miss two important points:

#1> What do I learn from having someone else do the work?

#2> How do I justify a thousand dollars worth of equipment and materials out in the shop if I tell the wife to go call this guy because he's cheap?

#3> Some of us just plain like to do things ourselves! Yes, I can buy a cheap Asian bookcase at walmart cheaper than I can make one but I'd rather make one. I can buy a cheap wallet while I'm there but I'd rather tool my own. You have to differentiate between doing quick jobs for the profit of a business and those of us who enjoy hobbies! And yes, when I made the wife a dozen window decals (printed, not cut), I laminated and cut them out by hand. Just part of the hobby. Now when her associated people decide they want a hundred or two of those, I'll have them printed and cut by one of the fine folks here. I'm not that crazy...

(yes, that's "3". Just wanted to see who here can count :D )

And any more advice (about what I asked) would still be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks...

• Like 1

Forgot about this...

jfought: Thanks for that advice. Worked out great. I penciled the line 2 inches in, placed the tape and folded over. Oh, I also pre-folded the edge to the line to create a memory crease. I think that helped a small bit. But the hemming went very easily going about 8 inches at a time.

My second big worry was taping that six foot long vinyl. Finally made up a quick tape holder out of some 2x4 scrap laying around with a one inch dowel between them. Worked great with not a wrinkle in sight.</p>

The wife and all others involved love it and I may even get some money for it. Have no idea what it's worth, but I said " 5 bucks a square foot" when asked :P Who knows?

Thanks again!