Sign in to follow this  
Robert1975

vinyl on sheet of metal

Hi guys

We are starting a 2nd side business that flows in well with our main business, we are researching in buying the Roland Versacamm VS300 printer/cutter.

We need to make a promo sign for the front of our shop, a sign on 2 steel poles, we got some quotes for an aluminum laminated promo sign but I was wondering if we could/should do it ourselves when we have the VS 300. Is it possible or the norm to apply vinyl to a sheet of metal of some sort? Sorry if its a silly question but i couldnt find info on this.

If its perfectly normal to do it, i would imagine we would:

1. print/cut the design to size to match the metal

2. Laminate it also for added protection

3. apply it to the metal

4. bolt it to a timber of some sort when applying it to the steel poles

is this correct or doesnt vinyl apply well to metal?

is aluminum good for vinyl? or is there a better cheaper metal to use for applying vinyl for signage?

thnaks guys. if my idea is normal, i will post up some pics when its done but i need some guidance on this 1st.

Robert

I just saw the sign making company quoted on Aluminum Composite material. Im not sure if they direct print them or also use vinyl. Is vinyl good on aluminum composite?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Robert

that is how i do it every day. but i use max metal so i do not have to prep the metal in anyway.

max metal is from any supplier almost. i get it from Grimco for 4x8 for 64.00. with aluminum you have to make sure that you clean it well. or the vinyl will not stick.

Just went to an art show and saw a picture transferred on metal the artist was explain to me the process was done with a heat press and special ink? Is this the material used?

Just went to an art show and saw a picture transferred on metal the artist was explain to me the process was done with a heat press and special ink? Is this the material used?

Sounds like sublimation to me.