Rodger

Stamped leather

With all the stamped leather in the gallery ( Vinyl & Leather forum :huh:??? ) I have been thinking more about that type of stuff . My Mom used to do that when I was a kid . I know Bear does it.. anybody else :huh: Tandy might be getting some of my money . Hmmm , I was really enjoying those nice heart shaped decals in the gallery !!! :D

I guess I'm not in the "anybody else" category, but leather tooling is a great hobby (or profession if you're good and hit a market). Just like any other hobby, it ain't cheap though. But you can start inexpensively. Tandy does sell big starter kits that aren't too bad. You need to do some reading on what tools get used the most for what you want to do. The fancy specialty tools can be skipped for a while. I still joke about my $100 tree. Was working on my own checkbook cover and just couldn't get my pine tree right. After a good $100 worth f tools and trips to Tandy, I finally got it :P Back then there were a lot of Tandy stores around to visit and learn. The old guy (named Eric if I remember correctly) actually knew the guy that started Tandy way back when. He was just full of good stories and great to learn from. I also bought almost all the Stohlman (sp?) books on tooling and such. Old but just full of good info.

Things to keep in mind.

You really do need the 2 inch think marble slab for tooling plus the thick rubber pad. Just the right size & weight mallet and the expensive shears. Also don't buy the cheap knives. The inexpensive ones are okay as long as they swivel. And keep those blades SHARP by honing them with every use with a leather strop. 100 tools and a 100 hours later, you'll be a leather tooling fiend ;D But don't expect to stop at 100... Wish I had... Then there's all those accessories like the strap cutters and bevelers and bone knives, hole & lacing punches, snap & grommet setters... It really never ends unless another hobby takes over your time. Something like say, vinyl cutting :P:bear:

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Bear . Hilarious ending " Something like say , vinyl cutting " . I might try to stay away from leather stamping until i find a collection of tools to buy . I know exactly what you are talking about with the 4100 tool . Even on e-bay , that stuff doesn't sell cheap .

I just took a quick look around out of curiosity and found this:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/4899-00.aspx?feature=Product_1

No, I have no connection with Tandy... But this kit has just about everything you need to get started and it's half price at close-out! The only things you'd need after this kit if the specific stamps for your projects and leather and they have that down to around $4.80 a square foot (stick to the 5-7 ounce size unless you need something specific). Things have changed a lot since I started but this set looks pretty good to me. Man, I should price up my tool box some day. No, that would just get me depressed I think :o

One thing to keep in mind about buying/needing more stamps is that they very often come in sets such as left, right and center for border or decorative stamps. Even backgrounders are needed in more than one size. So if you really need a particular stamp, you might wind up buying 3! They used to always have a discount for more than so many stamps which can save a bundle and they run a lot of sales to keep an eye on. Be a god idea to sign up for their flyer too.

Considering it against something like vinyl cutting... Right now that pro kit of $180; a side of leather for $40 (approx); maybe $20 worth of dye and finish; add even $100 for a dozen more stamps or an alphabet set. Around $340 to get seriously going doesn't seem to bad nowadays. Okay, add a few books to that. Still around $400.

Somehow I think if I talk much more about this, I'm going to dust off my toolbox and unroll a side of leather... Wonder if I can make a pink hog out of a cows butt? :P:bear:

• Like 1

Thanks Bear ,

I am going to buy that kit . I'll be Pming you for more advice :) .

Talking about hogs ... Assh told me he had a huge herd of wild hogs right outside his house when the hurricane was getting close . He said they usually stay way back in the woods this time of year . No USC Super Hogs out in the yard though :D:bear:

Awww buggers. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut :o:P:bear:

That is a nice kit and I can't believe they're selling off at half price.

If you've never done leather tooling before, I would also recommend buying a kit. They come complete with everything you need to assemble and very good instructions. Some also include a Craftaid. Sort of a plastic "stencil" that you rub onto the wet leather. I love some of them and you can easily only use small parts of the designs if you wish. No doubt on their web site, the tools needed for the kit would be listed and most are the common tools needed for everything. I'm not sure what stamps come with the big Pro kit.

I've made maybe a half dozen or more of their kits, usually checkbook covers and wallets. Way back when, I bought their folding knife belt holder, tooled it up, added some color and finish, and its still on my belt 30 odd years later! My checkbook cover is almost as old. It was just delayed a bit by that stupid tree :P One thing for sure, leather goods you make can last a lifetime and it's fun.

No doubt you'll enjoy leather tooling a lot and I hope you do!

Oh. One note about ordering from Tandy. I have no idea if it's changed much since they've been bought, but web site orders are sent to the nearest local to you store and filled there. That's usually fine, but I never could get my store to correct a mistake in my mailing address. It can also cause problems with sale items and especially close-outs such as that Pro kit. A phone call direct to the store is a good idea on anything really needed...

Oh #2... I'd bet Ash was just offering a save haven to his local hog buddies during the storm. He is nice that way :P:bear: