Sign in to follow this  
deivoxcarnal

MH Series vs. SC Series

I've been going over these two machines for the past couple of days and in a week and a half I plan on purchasing one or the other. (I've been using the search function to find an answer to my ?'s but to no avail)

I know that a lot of people on here are saying that you should buy the most expensive cutter you can afford. (you get what you pay for)

But I'm thinking of the law of diminishing returns (ie: is a $400 cutter 33% better than a $300 dollar cutter?)

Basically what I'm looking at is $285 for a 28" MH-series, or $345 for a 25" SC Series with a stand and keyspan.

The size difference is negligible and doesn't matter to me. The 60 bucks however means I can afford to get a couple more colors when I place my order, which would be important to my customers. (there was also the refine goldcut, but it's out of stock, so I'm not considering it)

What I can tell from the descriptions... the SC has a 1 year warranty, and the MH has a 90 days warranty (I'm slightly worried that my MH will crap out on me in 91 days...)

aaaaand that's about it, oh wait, the SC "features a registration laser" and...

"US Cutter however does not support the use of the laser registration and it is not covered in the warranty."

So does this mean that the laser can't be used for registering pre-printed media? or does it just mean that US Cutter doesn't honor a warranty if something goes wrong with the laser?

If it means that the laser doesn't actually register on the media then what is the point of having it at all?

So is there anyone out there that has some experience with both cutters, or at least could tell me the difference between the two as far as performance goes. I understand that the SC is supposedly more sturdy and the build quality is better, but what are the differences in features? (ie: more memory, faster/more accurate cutting speeds?)

If it helps to know, the most of my work on this machine would be smaller pieces, multiple up. In other words I'm not doing banners, mostly small promo stickers, (2'x5' max) and my files might have a lot of nodes.

I've heard things about the MH's not being able to handle multiple instances of complicated graphics, but they say this can be solved by a memory upgrade? I think that by the time I fork over the cash for the extra memory it might have been better to go with the SC.

At the same time, I've seen plenty of people on here mention that they've never had a problem with their MH.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys!

actually the SC cutter was JUST introduced, I have not seen anyone on the forum buy one or give any type of comments on it yet.. Pro or con.. Got this in a newsletter about a day ago...

Meet USCutters Latest Game Changers!

USCutter is pleased to announce two brand new members to our Vinyl Cutter lineup:

The new SC Series Vinyl Cutter and TC Series Vinyl Cutter with Laser Registration. The introduction of these new models marks the culmination of long process of research and design to improve upon our line of value cutters. We believe these cutters offer superior value with quality and features at a great price. Lets get you acquainted!

TC_Series

TC Series Vinyl Cutter with Laser Registration for Contour Cutting

Starting at only $499.99 buy now

The USCutter TC Series Vinyl Cutter With Laser Registration for Contour Cutting is available in 25", 34" and 50" models. Starting at only $499.00 for the 25" Model, the Powerful TC Series Vinyl Cutter is equipped with a standard 1-Year warranty. This model is an affordable alternative to our popular USCutter Laserpoint.

The TC Series Vinyl Cutter gives you all that the SC Series Vinyl Cutter has to offer PLUS contour cutting, a 64Mb super-memory which allows for offline cutting, a new design that allows adjustment of cutting force and speed while working and many more useful features.

SC Series Vinyl Cutter

Starting at only $279.99buy now

The USCutter SC Series Vinyl Cutter is available in 25", 34" and 50" models. Starting at only $279.00 for the 25" Model, the versatile SC Series Vinyl Cutter is equipped with a standard 1-Year warranty.

With Auto Memory of blade force & speed that is adjustable at any time and useful features like the Emergency Stop: Emergency stop is an option that allows you to stop your cutting process and then resume your cut at any time. This is intended to allow you to monitor the quality of your cut and therefore giving you flexibility to check the cut quality of your project at any time during the cut process. The SC Series Vinyl Cutter is an intuitive machine crafted to assist you on your road to success.

• Like 1

The SC looks to me as a Master, Exactly same machine just rebranded for USC. IMO a great cutter and they cut as well if not better as my roland. bit noisy but they are a workhorse. Mine ran every day for 2 years without a hitch,

Thanks, that answered a few of my questions.

With all of the negative words I've read on the forum I think I'm going to have to go with the SC.

The things I'm most concerned about are the memory and overall durability.

I'm not planning on finding out how much damage it can take, but if the negative reviews say anything, the MH has a problem with being broken right out of the box, then people have problems getting it serviced because US Cutter doesn't offer top-notch service on bottom rung products.

I'm really understanding when it comes to service and I'm patient with the people who's job is customer service.

But the stories I've heard on this board are unacceptable IMO.

Does anyone know how much memory the MH has in comparison? The last thing I want is to run a huge single piece and find out after a few yards that it doesn't have enough memory to complete the job (thereby ruining lots of material)

not sure on the MH but my master I can start cutting, come back in 25 min and its still cutting. Large and multiple copies. I run mine wide open as fast as it will go and also nothing but straight serial connectors, no adapters and never even tried any of them or usb. I have never had a memory issue, or ever stopped mid cut.

sc cutter memory Buffer capacity

1MB - Recyclable.

MH series has 1 MB... there was a 4MB chip available on us cutter site for purchase for MH series.. don't see it now..

what ever you decide to purchase, do yourself a favor and buy the stand...You will regret not buying it the first day...

sc cutter memory Buffer capacity

1MB - Recyclable.

MH series has 1 MB... there was a 4MB chip available on us cutter site for purchase for MH series.. don't see it now..

what ever you decide to purchase, do yourself a favor and buy the stand...You will regret not buying it the first day...

ZOMG yes, you need a stand.

hahahaha, at first I considered getting it without, but quickly decided it was a bad idea. :-p

Thanks, I saw the SC has 1 MB but couldn't find the spec for the other cutter.

Apparently I'm a noob, what does "recyclable" mean?

I'm definitely going to be using files over 1 mb, is this going to work for me?

I'm not just printing a few letters or shapes, some of my art is going to be really detailed.

If it helps I can upload some .eps files with my artwork to get an idea if the stuff I'm going to be doing is too ambitious for what people are calling a "hobby" model.

I noticed that the reviews are kind of mixed, a couple of mods around here say they've even used them in their businesses for years without problem or incident.

I also couldn't find the expandable memory upgrade on the site today.

Are there any other sites I could find it on perhaps?

The more answers I find, the more questions I have! ;D

:edit: I'm still curious about this line... "US Cutter however does not support the use of the laser registration and it is not covered in the warranty."

What are they getting at exactly? :huh:

I recently bought the SC-E 801 (or) SC801E. I was having a bit of an issue with setup on FlexiSign. I used the USB/SERIAL cable and in Windows 7 nothing was happening, wouldn't let me use the included drivers that came on CD ROM and the instructions that came on the disk were vague (unfortunately I didn't get any printed ones in the box), and nothing was self installing. I looked for USCutter Profiles in FlexiSign 8.6 v2 and it does not yet exist. So I tried the old trick "pretend its a Roland PNC1000" and nothing... I happened to stumble on the same machine being re-branded in Australia as the "LIYU SC801E". So I then rechecked Flexi's profiles and there it was, Profile for LIYU, I found the SC801 and gave it a try. Works 100%! So if nothing else works for you give that a try!