tservice

Embroidery image format

One of our customers is wanting us to do graphic work for them so they can send it and have it embroidered. What format does this type of work need to be in?

Thanks

Depends on the shop that is doing it, I would suggest calling them.

I recently sent some logos off for a customer off mine for the same use- they wanted them in the highest resolution .jpg I could send as well as .pdf. They got a 1200dpi jpg and .pdf, and I threw in an .eps file for kicks. They should be able to do it with those items no matter what.

I think the highest resolution. I may be wrong, but depending what program the embroidery shop has, i think vector format would be better because there are some programs that automatically digitize a vector logo or a jpeg. Some programs have like a corel draw embroidery plug in, never used it though. so i guess it just depends on the shop, they would usually digitize the artwork for a fee.

Does anyone know why they might need a pdf file format? I recently had to send off a logo and they would only accept it in pdf. I never did get an answer from them... (did get the work, just not the answer)

typically .pdf being a very versatile format as well as usually quality vector art as long as the creator did it right tht would make sense. Depends on the software they use I am sure... Plus some companies will say we need X format and thats it. Makes it so they don't have to monkey around with different formats and compatibilites to work.

pdf is not really a file format.......It is just a way to transport whatever is embedded inside.....Could be ai cdr jpg, etc. etc.....

In the strictest sense of the pDf as 'document', I could see it to be some use as it retains all formatting and fonts if needed. But for graphics? It makes no sense to me. I'm used to working in the graphic's native format; eps, jpg, bmp, wmf, and even postscript back in the old days. It's not like I had to specify a size or even a color as both were changed by the embroiderer. Maybe they just like to use what they feel comfortable with. Thank goodness that Corel has PDF creation built-in or would have no idea how to embed an eps graphic into a pdf file (which is technically a 'format').