Sign in to follow this  
kennymo

sign cut not opening the file right?

not sure if this is the right section or not so if its not please re-direct me.

i am somewhat new to cutting, along with illustrator. i have created an image in photoshop cs5 and then opened it in illustrator and saved it as an illustrator eps file. when i then try and open the eps file into signcut, signcut opens some block with a bunch of curved lines in it itstead of my image. thats really the best way i know how to describe it and hopefully someone knows what i am talking about or can better explain what i should be doing. thanks

did you vector/trace the original image in illustrator? You can't just save it as an .eps file. It has to BE a vector file first.Then save it as an .eps file

no i didnt do that first. but a question to go along to your answer. if its just a solid color do i still have to trace it? i cant just select it somehow? the image i want to cut has quite a bit of curves and small sections that would be pretty hard to trace using the pen tool.

every thing you cut has to be a vector file. Your cutter only cuts outlines...illustrator has automatic trace, read your manual... import your design, ,, click object> live trace> make and expand, save in whatever file format you want.

I think it is just how poorly signcut works with files saved with CS5. I too have CS5 and I normally run into problems with things showing up as wrong colors, and different color layers seperating the wrong way. I had a friend edit a few images and save with CS3, and they all opened PERFECT in signcut.

If you have CS5 just save files in older format....

As far as auto trace, you also have to remove duplicate paths if they were created during auto trace...

FRom SC PRO FAQ page

Illustrator CS5

There is no finalized plugin available for cs5, we will have one released in the next revision sometime in the next several weeks. Until then manually save as an ai or eps file with text converted to curves and compression turned off compatible with version 8 or earlier. If you save to the Signcut import directory you can open Signcut and click import and Signcut will open the last file saved there.